heating engineer problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by shoeswith, Jul 18, 2012.

1. shoeswith

shoeswith New Member

Hi
    I have an old potterton combi 80 which blew up its modulator board last saturday. I called out a heating engineer last saturday who replaced it.

Recently I noticed that the fan never turns off but I cant remember it being like this before but I might be wrong!! .

I rang the engineer who said its a permanent pilot and its supposed to be like this.

Wanting to make sure I rang potterton and they said that it has electronic ignition and no its not a permanent pilot! Can anyone tell me is the fan supposed to be on all the time. Whose wrong potterton or him! I'm at the point where I want to find another engineer Its an old boiler with a rumbling fan and its on its last legs but I really need it to last a bit longer.

Cheers

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Your 'engineer' is a cowboy. Get an engineer reccomended by Potterton to fix it.

3. shoeswith

shoeswith New Member

Yes thats my feeling although Ive paid this guy to do a repair and accepting that Ive got to pay twice is a bit of a bitter pill.

Leo Allen likes this.
  4. Spooner

Spooner Administrator

I'm amazed he had that board in his van??

5. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

Shoes, it sounds like your on a bit of a budget, so for whats its worth, you say its an old boiler with a rumbling fan so maybe you would have noticed the noise if it had always been on previuosley, so give the guy a call and say you were worried about the fan noise in case it caused damage so you spoke to potterton who say it is not a permanent pilot could he please come back and have a look, if he does and sorts it out good it cost you nothing and you dont have to use him again, if he refuses or cant sort it then you are mno worse off than you are now

Leo Allen likes this.
  6. Spooner

Spooner Administrator

Howyadoin Alex, it's yer auld pal here............;)
    Doya want to join us in the third division..............:'(

Hope yer keepin busy mate.

7. Shoeswith, how much did the repair cost? How much parts and how much labour?

Ok, call up the original 'engineer' again and do as hibeealex says above. The guy has to come out and sort it. You've done the right thing - you checked with the manufacturers and found that the fan shouldn't be running, and even if it did have a permanent pilot, I'm still pretty sure the fan shouldn't be running...

The guy has to sort it out and should do for no extra charge (unless additional parts are genuinely required). If, for any reason, he refuses to come out, or he does come out but can't stop the fan running, then he owes you a refund (perhaps, say, less a nominal call-out-and-see charge. Or, if he did replace the board but the boiler still needs something else that he can't fix, then it's probably fair to pay him for the board - provided it's a working one...).

How much did you pay, is the company a one-man band, and are they a 'respected' and established local firm?

If he fixes it, then grand. If he doesn't, he refunds you and you get someone better - grand also. You shouldn't lose out either way.

If he doesn't do either of these things, then you sue him for 'damages' - after also getting in touch with your local CA and Trading Standards.

We'll do this together - I'm about to tackle Amazon over a just-out-of-warranty exploding TV.

But, you MUST allow the original guy the opportunity to fix it first.

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Probably sorted in the 2.5 years since last post tbh.