Heating problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by David Keenan, Oct 15, 2014.

1. David Keenan

David Keenan New Member

Hi have a back boiler with gravity water pumped heating changed a couple rads also new pump refilled system rads upstairs all work downstairs will not cleared all air from system system filled ok with water if I turn off upstairs then downstairs start to heat the pipe going into rads get hot on one side but other side does not I left upstairs off and run downstairs for about 1hour and they were warmest any ideas most needed thanks in advance

2. Any ideas? Really? Any?

Ok then, use these: .

Lots of them. Like . . . . . . . . . . . . .

That'll help.

plumberboy likes this.
  3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I thought I was bad,man I feel good!!!!!:):)

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

What ever happened to commas, and full stops . in punctuation - modern education for you I suppose. Unless the OP is a legal beagle. Can you re-post that lot so we can follow it, thank you!

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Difficult to understand that post, one question did you put the new pump on the correct way? on the return pointing towards the boiler.

6. David Keenan

David Keenan New Member

Hi yes pump is correct thanks

7. Hi. Yes, pump is correct, thanks.

(You're going to get cross with me now, aren't you... :oops: )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
    Dave does Gas likes this.
  8. Dave does Gas

Ok go through your symptoms/problem again please, but try and make it make a bit of sense as Im not totally sure what the problem is apart from the system is not doing what the system used to do before you played with it.

9. Dave does Gas

:) :) :)

10. David Keenan

David Keenan New Member

Hi changed 2xradiators
    And pump
    Like for like
    Refilled system all ok
    Bleed system
    Upstairs all hot
    Downstairs not hot
    If I turn off upstairs
    I get a little heat downstairs
    The flow pipe gets hot but other side is cool

11. HOWD PLUM

HOWD PLUM New Member

it will be air locked.do the pipes run down the wall to feed rads from above. are there any d.o.c on rads or pipework to rads. if so you may be able remove it this way.turn on heating till it gets warm turn off warm rads connect a hose pipe to d.o.c.check which pipe is getting warm to each rad down stairs turn this one off to stop water getting into rad open other valve on other side of rad open d.o.c wait hot water passes through hose then turn off d.o.c and valve.repeat this to each cold rad then open all rads and fire up ch.if no d.o.c you could turn off rad loosen valve on cold pipe to rad place bowl under valve open valve till hot water come through then close valve do this to each cold rad

12. David Keenan

David Keenan New Member

13. David Keenan

David Keenan New Member

Hi yes pipes drop down from above to each rad thanks

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think we should leave David and Howd to sort this out, they seem to understand each other. ;);)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

:):):):):rolleyes:

16. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Just a minor point, and I'm not sure I'm right on this, but trying to clear the air lock with the boiler running would cause the air to expand and make it more difficult to clear, wouldn't it?

I would have thought keeping the system cold would be better. But then, without the benefit of being able to feel the pipes / radiators getting hot, I suppose it's more difficult to know if the problem has cleared or moved.

17. HOWD PLUM

HOWD PLUM New Member

should have wrote turn on heating till it gets warm then turn off warm rads and heating

18. So that's how David and Howd understand each other - they have Mosaix to translate :).

This is chust gonna work awesomely.:D

19. David Keenan

David Keenan New Member

Hi there
    All working as above thanks how'dhow'd

20. HOWD PLUM

HOWD PLUM New Member

your welcome