heating shed felt to stick

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by c j beattie, May 28, 2017.

1. c j beattie

c j beattie New Member

hello

I have watched roofing videos on youtube and they use a flame to heat up the felt to lay on top of other felt..

i wondered can you use a simple blow torch like this -- http://www.wickes.co.uk/Rothenberger-Rofire-Torch-C-W-Multigas/p/118675

to heat the felt up ?

and can you heat the back of normal shed felt to get it to stick to the old felt below?

thanks

C J B

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not enough heat, need a proper roofing torch, BUT I wouldn't use one on a wooden shed,otherwise you'll end up with a pile of ash & charred remains.:eek:

upload_2017-5-28_15-52-33.jpeg

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What can use that is quite cheap is a weed torch. They normally come with a can of butane gas for £10-£15. Just keep it about 18 inches from the felt.

upload_2017-5-28_16-15-34.png

4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Interesting seeing someone walk behind. I normally walk in front torching, and unroll the felt with a piece of rebar. Got the base layer done today on the extension roof. You have to find the perfect speed, otherwise you won't heat the felt enough, or you'll melt it.

I find the plumbers torch to be a handy tool for edging and tricky bits. It's got to have a high heat though, MAP gas is the best for it.

OP: you can get roofing paint that seals the felt joints. TBH I think torched on felt for a shed roof is crazy.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

IMG_9376.JPG

Just in time before the rain.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got to agree, crazy using torched on felt on a shed, & he won't be the first to burn the shed down applying it.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old fashion nowadays, GRP is the way to go.:)

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I did consider it, but I wasn't too sure.

I trust felt, I haven't worked with GRP before, so I don't know enough about it yet.

That and the two quotes I got for GRP were more than double the cost of felt. I spent a lot more on groundwork than planned, so I'm trying to keep spending down.:)

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I knew I would be told GRP was better!:D

Anyway Kiab, how are you doing at the moment? I haven't spoken to you in a while.:)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Going to have a lazy week watching cricket,rugby on Sky, replaced six radiators & rerouted some of the pipework here last week, & I actually found it hard going doing the work.:(

Joe95 likes this.
  12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You forgot to mention the chimney breast from the week before....

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That was even harder going, still need to skim the patch in ceiling:oops:.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Apart from the misses, at least your not driven by any time constraints