Heating still on hours after timer has told it to go off

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jackie C, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Jackie C

Jackie C New Member

Hi All
    I have had this issue for over 2 years now and my plumber hasn't resolved it and it happened again last night. Basically:

• My central heating ignores the timer (off at 8.30) and stayed on at least until 2am
    • I noticed it at 10pm
    • My thermostat was set at 14 degrees (usaully rads are warm to touch)
    • At 10pm they were hot to touch (very hot on the towel rads) too hot to touch
    • I turned the thermostat to 10 degrees and went to bed
    • Rad seemed a bit cooler at midnight
    • Woke up at two and thought I was in a sauna - rads red hot again
    • Turned the CH on the control panel to OFF
    • Still hot an hour later
    • I turned the hot water OFF on the control panel and move the cylinder thermostat from 50 degrees to 45 degrees (not sure why)
    • Turned the dial more towards Min on the Worcester Bosch Green star Condensing boiler I have - greem light went out
    • I went to bed and at 4am this morning the rads we cool
    • Still off at 5.15 this morning.

So Far:
    • Boiler changed a year ago
    • on third diverter
    • control panel changed
    • ther mostat changed
    • System flushed thorugh a year ago - twice
    • Magna filter added a year ago and a small amount of debris removed in May last year when this happened again

Not there tonight but plumber coming again tomorrow
    Trouble is everytime he comes and tests it (it's happened quite a few times now over 2 years) and everything works as it should when he is here

So this leads me to an electrical fault but sort of ruled it out as its intermittent and no pattern to it other than maybe a build up of heat over time?

MaybeI I should buy a stick on thermastat and record the daily temperature on one main rad?

I did get British Gas in a year ago and they also said Diverter. Could something be triggering the temperature getting higher and then its so high it causes the Diverter to stick?
    The switch looked towards the back last night and this morning when it was cold it looked towards the front.
    Help - please let me know your thoughts

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

something is over riding the controls, my guess is a frost stat, some have one installed on the pcb, just summut to give your plumber to think about :eek:

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

get an electrician who knows about heating systems to check it out.:cool:

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

in my experience an electrician has poor knowledge of heating controls, they're ok at wiring plugs and putting light bulbs in for heating you need a plumber/heating eng, :rolleyes:

5. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

AGREED....;)

6. Cough - you don't have a wireless room 'stat, do you... ? :rolleyes:

If you do, change the operating channel.

If you don't, ignore me... :oops:

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Ha I have a tame Sparky who is almost a genius with heating controls, But its so true Tom the vast majority run a mile when asked to wire a Y plan

8. Well, if that's true why do I do the heating controls for so many plumbers around here? It's the vast majority of plumbers who waddle a mile in my humble experience!

Rulland likes this.
  9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

nohometogoto, there are plumbers and plumbers, and i guess sparkies and sparkies, I said ' in MY experiance' there MUST be a few who know how to do heating its just I've never met them , no offence meant, thats just how it is in tomplumsville o_O

10. Crikey Tom, no offence taken. I enjoy reading your posts. I too can think of some local sparkies who don't know their Y from their S!

11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

sorry tom,some of us do both. know what you mean thou.

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

there's always a healthy banter twix the shower of sparks and gaggle of plumbers in the Wigan branch of screwfix of a morning, there is and always will be ' willy waggling' from the two trades, we love it, :):)

13. Jackie C

Jackie C New Member

thanks Guys for your updates. I am monitoring it for the nct two weeks and then the plumber comes back to power flush again, change the diverter and clean out mega filter. I came home Friday , heating on, came home today heating on at 15.40 it goes off at 12.15 the diverter switch was on heating. On Friday it was on water. Can't work it out.

14. Jackie C

Jackie C New Member

I don't think I have a wireless stat. So if anyone knows an electrician who really does know heating system electrics inside out and they are in the Hull, Beverley area then get in touch.

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I have to agree with nhtgt, in my experience, it is the plumbers who 'dabble' with electrics that seem to call me for assistance, don't get me wrong, and I'm not dissing all plumbers, but the ones I deal with cock up on the electical side with control etc and then call me when it all goes belly up......just saying.

16. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

:(

17. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I wanted to be an electrician,
    my ambition it was plain,
    but every sparks job i went for
    said **** off and try again,

So i got a proper job :)

18. Jackie C

Jackie C New Member

Boys boys boys! I have met both good and bad in plumbing and electrics but a lot worse in tiling (he smashed the bath- sacked him and had to get the plumber back and plastering ( think he put it on with a fork)Let's not even go there! Anyway I still have the problem

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

:rolleyes:

What is the programmer you have for the WB boiler? Is it own brand? Also is it a programmable stat or just stat? And whether it is wired or wireless?

Can you hear a relay click inside the programmer when calling for heat, soon after pressing the button?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  20. Jackie C

Jackie C New Member

My programmer is a Honeywell with a simple dial up button which goes from 10 degrees upwards. It's my second stat. So far I have replaced everything and still have the issue. It's just a stat nothing fancy. Yes I hear a positive click when dialling up to 15 degrees