Heavy Slate Wall Tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Sugars, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Sugars

Sugars New Member

image.jpg I have purchased heavy slate wall tiles for a kitchen wall. The tiles weigh 30kg/m2.

The wall is plastered, skimmed and painted several years ago.

I am reading that the tiles are too heavy for the wall as standards specify 20kg/m2.

When speaking to friends in the trade they advise me I 'should be ok' but I don't **** to take the risk.

Someone else advised to screw plywood into the brickwork and mount tiles to that as it increases load bearing.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I am in two minds what to do. Thanks

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What do you feel is the right way to move forward with this?

3. Sugars

Sugars New Member

I would say I am hoping for a confident answer as to how a professional would go about? What would you recommend?

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

When speaking to friends in the trade they advise me I 'should be ok' but I don't **** to take the risk.

5. Sugars

Sugars New Member

Sorry let me word this another way... They are in the general building trade but not specifically tilers. Hence why I am asking in here

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Fair enough... :)

Any painted surface is not great, whether tiling over or skimming with plaster etc. Scoring with a Stanley knife usually helps in providing a better mechanical key, but sometimes this causes the paint to loosen further as it starts to come off in slices.

Given the cost of the slate, then screwing ply to the wall will be the safest option relative to the overall cost. Anything else is a possible compromise. Chances are, it will be ok, especially as it is a kitchen rather than a bathroom, but that is your risk. Any tradesman who will offer a guarantee (rather than a cash job) will do it the recommended way.

7. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Fix Hardibacker to the area, and then tile.

Also.....don't listen to "Friends" in the building trade. Or worse, Builders.

Hope those tiles are not being fitted anywhere near food/cooking areas? Because you DONT grout them, and that makes them a breeding ground for bugs/germs.

8. Sugars

Sugars New Member

Thanks both for the advise- appreciate it. I'll board and then tile. The tiles will be situated at the opposite end of the kitchen away from food areas.

Ghost-1 likes this.