Help building a 4x2.7m shed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Nishing, Jul 11, 2015.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Go with that then. Most sheds are designed with the premise that a lawn mower and junk is stored in them.If it is more of a 'workshop' then 'over engineer it' :)

2. Nishing

Nishing Member

Well ill hav a think i might not have enough 2x4's of the appropriate length anyway thinking about it

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

Nishing likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Look up timber spans and work it out.

5. Nishing

Nishing Member

Thanks but i think your picture has been removed? What are your piers concrete blocks or purpose made deck piers? And are they just on the ground or did you pour a concrete footing?

Cheers

6. Nishing

Nishing Member

I shall try but me and graphs dont do well together

7. Nishing

Nishing Member

So if im understanding this correctly for the 4m length of the shed i will need 2x8's? And 2x5's for the centre?
    image.jpg

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

does this work ??
    [​IMG]

my peirs are compacted earth topped with sand to level and with slab or part slab with a brick another bit off slab storage radiator blocks what ever needed to bring the height up then topped with felt or dpm no mortar or any other substance just gravity
    my shed is minimum 2" to around 5" off the ground then the floor joists

Nishing likes this.
  9. Nishing

Nishing Member

I need to figure out the best arrangement for the pillars, it seems if i get strong enough floor joists i wont need pillars in the middle, possibly even just 3 pillars each side as the span is 2.7m ?

10. Nishing

Nishing Member

No it doesnt work mate it says this image has been moved or deleted, i think id rather have my piers on concrete footings and hopefully if i get big enough joists i could just do 2 rows of 3 pillars running the length

11. Nishing

Nishing Member

If you could get a picture up i would appreciate it, thanks

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better to pour foundations for the piers, would only need to bed one 100mm or 140mm concrete block on the foundations,to give enough ground clearance to ensure good air flow, so you only need 3 or 4 piers for a 4mtr floor joist & you need to laid five joists @ a 540mm span or 6 joists @ 450mm span if you have a lot heavier loads.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  13. Nishing

Nishing Member

Thats what i cant decide on whether to pour a concrete foundation for each pier or just level with sand, but i think i want to use brick because i have aload available and it should look better ...

Do you mean 6 joists running the length of the shed (4m)? Wouldnt they sag ?

Edit: ok you mean 6 joists running the width if the shed, and 3 piers per joist (plus the outer joists?) that would make 24 piers?

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Joist running length of shed (4mtrs) ,using a 125x47mm or 150x47mm you could get away with 4 piers @ 1 mtr spacing, no chance of sagging.
    But, you would eventually get some settlement,how much depends on your soil conditions, if you just laid your pier on sand/compacted soil.

Nishing likes this.
  15. Nishing

Nishing Member

So how many piers are you talking total?

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Home now, I reckon you could get away with 3 piers per 4mtr length approx 1300mm between piers, so 15 or 18, piers depending whether you have 5 or 6 joists length wise.

And I upgrade to 4 piers per 4mtr length, so 20 or 24 piers if your using shed as a home workshop.

17. big all

big all Screwfix Select

18. Nishing

Nishing Member

God knows whats going on but that just links to a page of some kind of code haha cant you upload thr pic on here?

19. Nishing

Nishing Member

I didnt want to have to install that many to be honest, the most i considered was 12 and even that seems alot.

I was hoping i could 9 or less, it obviously depends on the size of timber...

20. Nishing

Nishing Member

I guess im confused by that chart i posted earlier it says a 2x6 is good for 3m span at 400mm centres so why does it need supporting with piers every meter ? Or am i missing something