Help choosing gear.

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Andrew Davison, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Hey guys wondering if you could help me choose some kit.
    Me and my girlfriend are buying a house together so I'm going to be doing a lot of improvements in the future. I'm reasonable handy and I'm willing to give most jobs a go, especially after a bit of research. The main problem I'm having is that most of my tools are based around mechanics and metal working not kitchen fitting, decorating and carpentry.

My list of needs so far is as follows. If I'm missing anything obvious please let me know what and why.
    Screwdrivers
    Claw hammer
    Pin hammer
    Pry bar
    Scrapers
    Long level
    Short level
    Tape measure
    Combination square
    Utility knife
    Saw - rough
    Saw - fine
    Saw - tenon
    Pliers
    Side cutters
    Non contact voltage detector
    Terminal screwdriver
    Paint brushes
    Rollers and cage - thinking purdy
    Plumbing tools - already have a home made 'kit'

Drill
    Sander
    Jigsaw
    Router

One of the main jobs of the jigsaw will be for fitting a new kitchen benchtop. I'd like to buy once and cry once so I'm thinking of the dewalt d331 but it is rather expensive for me at the moment. I've heard that the mac allister pendulum jigsaw is good so would that make a good alternative? If not does anybody have a good alternative that's cheaper than the Dewalt. One option I was thinking was buying a s find hand 110v unit and a transformer. Works out a little cheaper than new and I then have the options of picking up cheap 110v tools further down the line.

The routers only foreseeable job at the moment will be for trimming the kitchen benchtop and giving a perfect edge. I would love the dewalt kit but really can't justify 250 at the moment so what would be a good plunge router, ideally for less than 100.

I have battery and corded drills so I'm fine for those.

For the sander I've seen one I like for about 50. It's a palm sander, has wire clasps for cutting your own paper and Velcro backing for precursor pads.

I know it's a long winded post but I like to do my research before spending money and undertaking big jobs

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

don't skimp on quailty when it comes to power tools, most will have a 3 year warrenty option, for Jigsaw look at Makita 4350FCT or Bosch GST150BCE/1.

Palm sander Makita BO4556/2 would be high on my list, got one here must be 20 years old.

Using water based paint then synthetic brushes are essentiial, can't go wrong with Purdy Monarch brushes.

Nail punches are handy to have, & a multitool is worth having, so many uses, sanding, cutting,etc.

And you will a 1/2" router to tackle worktops.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Astramax and longboat like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

SDS Drill and bits.
    Abranet abrasive sanding system.
    Good Vacuum cleaner with various attachments.
    Pelican paint tray.
    Felt mini rollers.
    4" emulsion and 4" gloss rollers.
    Brush Mate.
    Masking tape.
    Low tack masking tape.
    Snap off craft knives.
    Pasting table.
    Buckets and sponges.
    Big Wipes.
    Loads of dust sheets.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How long is a piece of string mate? Depends on how far you go.
    I'd add filling knives,
    an expanding foam gun,
    a cheap corded circular saw,
    pair of foldable sawhorses,
    Stepladders,
    dust sheets and rubble sacks,
    couple of different trowels,
    Small angle grinder
    Ceramic tile cutter

and most importantly a fully functioning kettle.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Paste table, do peeps still wallpaper!:eek: haven't hung wall paper in 10 years or so, all painted walls.:)

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Step ladders.
    Extension ladder.
    Portable workbench.
    and most importantly..............deep pockets!;)

KIAB likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You avin a larf guv! Hung 26 rolls last month alone + 2 bedrooms to paper after Easter!

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have a property maintenance business and I suspect the tool I use most is this

- http://www.screwfix.com/p/purdy-6-in-1-painters-surface-preparation-tool/67975

I use it for far more than it was intended and it lives in my work trousers so I've always got it with me. I keep a new spare with me in case I lose or break it, it's that useful. I have loads of other tools of course and like most tradesmen I live in fear of my wife finding out what I actually paid for them all!

KIAB and longboat like this.
  9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Power tools, Bosch or Makita for me. I've got some dewalt kit but it's cheap plastic junk if I'm honest.

Stabila levels - had various other levels but I have total faith in Stabila

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-tylon-tape-measures-8m-16-pack-of-2/2086h I've got these at the moment. They are decent for the money.

An SDS-Plus drill is much more powerful and versatile than a percussion/hammer drill. I can't remember the last time I used my mains percussion drill, the cordless I have has more power.

You'll want a multitool too, until you use one you don't realize how handy they are. Bosch are the go to brand at the moment for multitools, paired with Saxton blades.

Add a hop-up to the list. Not only a something to stand on, but a table, seat, mini-workbench etc.

Kneepads! You'll regret not getting any.

Don't buy any cheap 110v tools. The are most certainly stolen, it's us that have to pay to replace them. It's a supply chain, if people stop buying stolen tools, scum stop stealing them. Ask for proof of purchase if you want to purchase second hand tools.

And finally, Say goodbye to the contents of your wallet!

KIAB likes this.
  10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Would second KIAB'S recommendation for the 4350FCT, great bit of kit and only £120 from 'Axminster '.
    The Hitachi M12VE router is also good for the price, bought one several years ago and was impressed with it, but it ended up in the router table so I bought another one because I was to lazy to remove it when needed. Won the second one for £75 on eBay, in near new condition. Still had the 'new smell' when you opened the case.:)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Laser level, well worth investing in.

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look at ToughBuilt saw horses, can make a good bench with a couple lengths of 4x2 & a old door or sheet of 18mm ply.
    As to circular saw Bosch GKS190 a lovely 190mm saw, cuts 70mm @ 90 degree & 50mm @ 45 degree.
    Steps I do like the grp models, 5 tread should be ample,very stable compared to diy steps.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

14. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Did you all forget!!!!! A good RADIO!!!!

Joe95 likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hitachi M12VE excellent router.:)

longboat likes this.
  16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

What's your budget Andrew?

And no matter what you buy now, there will always be something you need later on.

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

To be honest, once the OP has bankrupted himself to buy all the c.rap we need to make a few quid, he'll have to buy or build a shed or garage to store it all.

18. Thanks for the input guys. Hard to comment back to each bit at the moment as viewing on phone.

Saw horses were one I'd thought of but forgot to put on list.

Grinders I have.

Circular saw I'd like, especially for when I build the log store we have planned but thought I'd get away with a handsaw and jigsaw.

Would scrapers substitute as filling knives?

Wallpapering I can't do so think I'd be helping our lasses mother or paying someone to do.

I won't be doing brick work and don't think I'll be doing tiling. If I do need to do tiling my dad has a cutter.

Don't believe I'll be doing any plastering other than patching a small hole or two.

I like the kettle comment but I'll substitute it for a fridge of cold drinks as I do t drink much tea or coffee lol.

I'll look into the specific tool models recommended.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And most importantly don't forget safety specs, & ear defenders.

20. Ideally 300 but I can go to 500. Some tools I already have and I don't mind searching for bargainsa