Help choosing gear.

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Andrew Davison, Apr 5, 2017.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well at least you can do a rewire at the same time..:p

Absolutely hate wallpaper in any form, got anaglypta on hall landing, keep putting the job off to replace it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Did that a few years ago!

Owners never got round to making good after I'd filled in the chases!

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I think that's the gist of what Spen123 was getting at (#36) but auto correct (or just poor typing) made his post incoherent - I think it should say "I'd say buy what you need as you go".
    I suspect that's what most of us have done over the years. I did have a list of tools I needed to buy for college which is probably the only 'tool kit' I've bought. Still got some of them which means that a) they were carp and I've since bought better, b) they were really good, c) the list was poor and I never needed them, d) I was carp and couldn't use that tool to make a living or e) all of the above. I must admit to having real difficulty throwing tools away as well unless its broken beyond repair or absolute carp.
    Whatever you buy get the best you can afford and look after it. Enjoy!

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Absolutely hate wallpaper in any form, got anaglypta on hall landing ceiling, keep putting the job off to replace it.

5. WillyEckerslike

You must really hate it to post about it twice! Go and scrape it off now - this minute - you'll feel better for it. You know it makes sense!

6. Just been and bought a joblpt of mac allister tools as some one was selling them almost brand new for cheap.
    Whilst I know they won't be the best quality they'll do to start with to save some money and I can upgrade each as I go. The upside to this is that I'm now probably looking at a budget of £150 for a plunge router. As previously mentioned I now k ow I'll need 1/2 with my intended useage.

Something I have been considering was buying only cordless tools. Eventually I wasn't a set of Milwaukee m18 tools and batteries. Would these be good enough to not buy a good quality corded version forst

7. I'm thinking the hitachi m12ve looks to be the best 1/2 router for near my budget

8. WillyEckerslike

There don't seem to be many Milwaukee fans on here (possibly not helped by our hosts not stocking them) however I use it extensively and have a decent collection of 12 and 18v kit with some 240v as well. I've had some of it for years and ended up making an adapter for each platform so that I can run my old Nicad kit off Li-Ion batteries which has saved a fortune not having to replace perfectly good equipment. The Fastback II utility knife is absolutely superb - so it's not just power tools...

Andrew Davison likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Phone interupted me typing, time expired.

When I finally remove anaglypta (3 layers:() I either got to remove wallpaper & skim ceiling,overboard & skim or rip it all down, reboard & skim.:(
    And it's a high stairwell.:(

10. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Me too... Did I mention that?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bosch, Makita prefered, got Bosch 18v cordless here, impact, combi, circular saw, batteries last ages.
    Some of my Bosch, Makita kit is 20 years old,never been repaired,retired NiCad drill, cheaper to buy new Li Ion drill than getting new Ni Cad batteries.
    With power tools, buy quailty, buy once, buying cheap brands is bad idea, no spares, unlike Bosch, Makita.
    Dewalt would never touch it, tacky kit.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  12. WillyEckerslike

I have a client who asked if I would remove a radiator so that they could strip the wallpaper and redecorate. When I got there he had already started removing the wallpaper but ...
    - it was the master bedroom
    - the lady of the house had only just got up
    - nothing had been removed (or covered with dust sheets)
    The paper had been stripped as far as anything in the way permitted so he had done as much as he could and stopped when he could go no further, around pictures, clothes on hooks, around her make up and lotions on the dressing table - everything! It was all round the room (including the rad of course). There were wallpaper peelings all over (and in) everything. If you removed all the contents of the room you would have a perfect silhouette of what was in the room at the time. It was most bizarre.

KIAB likes this.
  13. I always thought that dewalt was better than Bosch. With Bosch being more for the home user. Take it that this isnt the case then

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There is Bosch Green which is DIY & the Blue range that's professional kit.

15. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Have the 18v brushless milwaukee drill and impact driver- fantastic bits of kit. Have to also say that the aftercare from milwaukee is excellent. Dropped the drill from height and damaged the chuck- one of the teeth became offset to the rest causing the bit to become de-centered. Milwaukee picked the drill up and replaced the chuck assembly free of charge! It was not even a new drill but covered in scuffs and nicks. Dewalt aftercare is virtually non-existent in my experience.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

£15 per drop...............luvly jubbly:p

CGN likes this.
  17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No point buying tools willy nilly! Build up a decent set of hand tools and buy power tools as and when you need them. You need fewer than you think for most jobs. :)

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select