help! confused over decking

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by jayuk20, Apr 16, 2015.

1. jayuk20

jayuk20 New Member

I've been researching laying some decking over part concrete and part grass/soil. I've read so many different ways to do it but now I've got no idea where to start!

I've got a 9ftx9ft square concrete patio and then 11ft x 18ft grassy area to cover. What would be the most cost effective way to secure the joists? On the grass area I was thinking of using some spare fence posts and concrete them into the soil to attach the joists but on concrete I'm now not too sure.

I don't have a lot of space to play with by my patio/kitchen door as from the lip to the floor is 5ins.

Hopefully someone can clear things up for me!

EDIT: Also what would be the ideal depth for the posts on the grassy area?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

In the grass area, as you say concrete posts in to the grass, 300mm should be enough.
    On the concrete area just screw support feet to the joists that sit on the concrete I wouldn't worry about fixing them to it, the weight of the decking should hold it down along with the uprights that are in the grass area.

Gatt likes this.
  3. jayuk20

jayuk20 New Member

That' excellent, thanks.

Lastly I think I may have to change my joists, though finances are tight. I've got in mind 2.4m x 95mm x 45mm and I've been told spanning will be an issue, though I guess I could go from 400mm to 200mm span?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I use 75 x 75mm fence posts as joists @ 400mm centers, though your 95 x 45 @ 400mm centers should be fine, depending on what decking you're using, I always use 32mm, some of the sheds sell it as thin as 20mm this would need 300mm centers at the most.

5. jayuk20

jayuk20 New Member

Thanks for the help.

I dug in some footings to hit either concrete or pipes so ended up getting some Handi Blocks and putting them where the support posts would have gone so I didn't need to get to the correct depth.

If it wasn't for the above I probably would have finished now! It's exercise at least.

6. Jay, I would personally avoid sinking timber posts into the ground, even if they are encased in concrete. These will be the first items to fail through rot, perhaps in as little as 10 years (and that ain't a long time...)

Why not dig holes (much as you would to sink these posts anyway ) and fill them with concrete and rubble up to - and just above - ground level, and then sit the posts on top?

All the posts that will have contact with the concrete patio (and these small 'founds') should be end-dipped in preserver.

If you house is brick, you could even lay a short brick pillar on top of these 'founds' even if only one brick height above the ground - that could look really neat.

A bit of DPC on the bottoms of each post probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

7. jayuk20

jayuk20 New Member

Thanks again!

The deck is coming on (slowly) but one problem now!

I've now got a foot gap I need to close which runs along the side of the decking (where the fence will go). I was gonna fill it with stone and some Acer plants but now (at last minute) decided against it for various reasons. Ive attached a diagram.

Attached Files:

8. And your question is...? :)

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Any reason you didn't run the beams on, and deck it ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. jayuk20

jayuk20 New Member

Closing the gap. :p

I can't really budge the frame up any more (which I done today) and have it flush with the edge of the soil area because the bottom of the pier/Handi block is wider than the top and I'd need to dig further across which would run into next doors garden and they are planning a new fence (at the moment there is nothing there).

11. Nah - still don't understand...

Anyways, why not have "MIND THE GAP" playing on an endless loop?

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

So why couldn't you run the joists on further than the 'handiblock' ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really