HELP! deciding what to use on my old flat roof?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Diydave-1, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Diydave-1

Diydave-1 New Member

Can any one please suggest what is the best system to use on an old flat roof above the kitchen.
    And do I need to put some more insulation in there? I plan to do the job myself its about 30m2 roughly.

Felt has been there for a few years and now needs replacing.

2. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

If you aren't planning on living in the property for too many years then felt it again as it's the cheapest option however if you plan to stay in the house then use EPDM all the way. Fantastic stuff.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

GRP roofing any colour you like,will last 30 years plus, as it's for a kitchen I would go for a warm roof design.

[​IMG]

Got GRP it here, fault it, had it here just over six years, still perfect.
    GRP has the edge, it's is easier to form around soil pipes,roof lights, etc to EDPM.

4. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

Grp has a tendency to crack as it doesn't allow for movement and if installed incorrectly or without proper conditions to cure properly it again will crack.

Epdm is recognised by surveyors in home reports. It allows movement without any possibility of tearing or cracking. Also it can be fitted in one sheet meaning there are no joints anywhere. When the house falls it will still be in place and still waterproof.

I have to disagree with KIAB on grp being easier to form over pipes etc as with epdm you can cut out the shape and fit straight over with an extremely neat and tight seal.

5. My 'connie' (not really a connie) has a pitched GRP roof and it's certainly proved itself.

However, if I were to redo any flat myself, I'd EDPM it - surely it's much easier for a DIYer? And pretty much as permanent a jobbie as well.

Dave, I'd study KIAB's thread carefully and decide on a roof style - don't 'mix' them in any way! It's one or t'other.

What you really want to avoid is any risk of condensation forming in a sealed cavity where it could cause rot.

6. Diydave-1

Diydave-1 New Member

Thanks for the info on the cold and warm roof KIAB.

Ive been snooping about the internet for supplies these GRP Guys offer kits for what ever size you want with some handy how to video http://www.fibreglassroofingkits.co.uk/ although it looks very messy. Am I right?

The thought for EPDM as Connie suggest does seem cleaner and easier, I found these people https://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/?&mk...s&bnine=true&gclid=COfp342Dss0CFYidGwoduY4K7g im confused as to what I actually need with lots of options on the site.

Any thoughts on which system and thickness for the EPDM Rubber?

PS scotmac its our long term home so I dont want to have to do it twicw if I can help it.

Thanks guys

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With respect, rubbish, GRP has a tendency to crack, well my last place had it on my workshop nearly 20 years, & it never cracked, got it on present place, it's had scaffold on it last month, roof still perfect.

Any problem is too much/too little catalyst , topcoat too thick, no exspansion gap,poor installation to list a few problems.

The last grp roof I had done was 'Topseal' by local installer.

Diydave-1 likes this.
  8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'd go for a warm Trocal single ply system. Nice slate grey colour with colour and matched laminated metals for the details. Life expectancy is 35years plus

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. That looks good.

Dave, there are lots of videos on applying EDPM to flat surfaces. It looks pretty straight-forward - prime, and then an adhesive for overlaps and a different type for the main surface (as far as I remember).

All you need is a 'kit'. Yes, compare thicknesses, but that will often come down to if there's any risk of abrasion (anyone needing access to the roof).

Diydave-1 likes this.
  10. Diydave-1

Diydave-1 New Member

Thanks guys ill continue to price up and weigh up the pros and cons. I do like the overal look of the grp.
    Thanks for the advice.

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I had a pro in to GRP my porch roof over 5 years ago. Touch wood,no probs so far.

12. Roofus Raintight

Roofus Raintight New Member

The best system is the one that meets your budget!. EPDM and Fibreglass both have their positives and negatives but in the whole if you buy high-quality materials and know what you're doing or get the right contractor to install then you won't go far wrong with any of them.