Help! Has anyone ever demolished ground floor on a terrace to create drive to the back of house ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Powerelec, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

Mid Terrace with no vehicle access to the back garden need to demolish the ground floor or part of it to create a drive to get to the back, if anyone has done a project of this type please get in touch I need info regarding planning, which I believe could be an issue. I need to be able to show its been done before and have a good argument

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You will need to discuss this with a structural engineer, doubt you get planning permission, also it would involve the 'party wall act' I would think.
    Numerous other things to over come.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  3. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

Structurally its no big deal, neighbours are good with it , its just the hurdle of planning , maintaining character and all that, but I have seen many Victorian terraces where archways have formed part of design , midway for access.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Will involve several rsj's to support everything.
    You didn't have the planning laws when many Victorian terraces were built with archways.

5. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

True, but I think their objections are lame, Im not one for creating monstrosities anyway , I don't believe it would damage the character of the terrace and its not listed.

6. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

I don't necessarily want to create archways, it will be an RSJ job, I just gave archways as an example of of a gap in a terrace, which does not or did not necessarily damage the character of the buildings or overall look of the terrace

7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'd talk to an estate agent to see how much it would devalue your house never mind the rest!

PaulBlackpool, KIAB and leesparkykent like this.
  8. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

Just to be clear I am a tradesman, I know most of my stuff, devaluation is not an issue. Its just the hurdle of justifying it to planning from example / evidence of it being done elsewhere.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And his neighbours.

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Could I just ask, why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Do you need to do this?

11. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

Vehicle access , parking, potential outbuildings access etc. Why does it seem so odd that its aroused such curiosity

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How many houses in terrace, do they have long gardens,does end houses have access to side road.

13. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Would there still be enough left of your house for it still to be classed as a house?
    The only way I can see planning even considering this idea would be for you to buy an adjacent house and convert the two houses into one house with the access you want , the whole property looking like it might look in Victorian days with a stable arch access. I have seen similar done when the ground floor of one house became an integral garage.

It would of course be cheaper to move.

14. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

The cost of the works + the devaluation of the property = Sell and move to a more suitable house or do nothing.

I'm not having a go, I honestly think it sounds like it would be a mistake.

15. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

Great idea, any chance you can get me Amy details of such properties , if I did it with 1 property yes it would be a flat first floor and loft space would be bedrooms, enough for me, however , one side its a good neighbour and other side is family so that idea could work.

16. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

Just thought , even some modern town houses have a garage on ground floor , living 1st floor and bedrooms 3rd

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I reckon!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. PaulBlackpool

I am pretty sure there are one or two in Blackpool but I would not want to be specific as I might land them in It.
    I think you should speak to your local planning.
    To be honest I don't think they would even consider it with just one property. It would be "out of character" to the neighbohood

19. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

I
    Don't think you could land them in it, highly unlikely they would have done it without planning,

20. PaulBlackpool

I cannot say too much because of my avatar so I won't.;)

Just speak to planning.