HELP ! hot water cylinder leaking.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Loz., Nov 5, 2016.

1. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

not that i do them anymore, but i was of the understanding that new cylinders, WERE NOT, suitable for gravity fed installs????? discuss

2. I suspect you are generally right, Nigel.

I'm not a plumber so I don't know for sure. However, I did a bit of surfin' on this issue (for this thread) and found a bespoke manufacturer of cylinders and they included the option of indirect-but-gravity cylinder options.

Something special to do with the coil.

But, off the shelf in yer local merchants? I doubt it. Gravity systems are soooo yesterday. Literally.

3. Loz.

Loz. Member

I have left a million text messages asking him to get in touch. I have rung the land line repeatedly and the answer machine is off. Occasionally his elderly father has answered and promised to say I've called but that is all he can do. Never an answer to the mobile number. I've even driven by his home but the van was out. Last message was to say if I didn't hear from him today I would take it he was not available for the job. I have rung other plumbers in the area. None would suggest a price and were fully booked for two weeks. One couldn't come for three weeks (knowing that would not be acceptable). I'm back on the phone now for anyone prepared to do it - even posted on a community page on Facebook appealing for plumbers available. Absolutely no chance of any assistance from the local council. I rang and enquired and they just want to know if it's a council property. The lady kindly informed me that unless it was an environmental hazard that affected council tenants they rarely assist with any issues regarding private rental. Anyway back to the willing plumber search. Who would believe it could be so difficult to simply replace a burst cylinder. I'm not asking for magic, just a straight swap.

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

I've not read all the posts - but cylinders for gravity fed can be got no problem from Gledhill. Go into your local plumber's merch and ask for one, normally 2-3 days, price only a bit more than the standard cylinder. Fitted 2 since the summer, nothing previously for about 3 years!

If you are struggling for a plumber to do it just wait at the merchants and ask the guys that come in - someone is bound to have a slot and the counter staff will know who the decent people are.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Try your local area forum on www.streetlife.com - there are always people asking for help with plumbing, electric jobs etc. and quite a few tradesmen looking for opportunities just like this. I'm sure if you ask, you'll get a few names to try and people saying "try so and so, they did work for me and were good with decent prices" etc.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. That's shocking news, Loz.

Good advice to try above.

7. Loz.

Loz. Member

Update. Apologies for very late response. The original plumber never did turn up, answer the phone or reply to text messages. Unfortunately I had been feeling unwell over that week and ended up in hospital for ten days with pneumonia. First day out I got another plumber who came to look that day. The tank was delivered the next day and within five hours it was fitted. Two gentlemen came making life easier for lifting etc. The unused immersion heater came in handy and I decided to use it as I doubt the old style thermostats will be available next time it goes. There was another problem but not urgent as I do not light the kitchen fire at the moment. The ballcock in the tiny open tank in the loft which apparently fills the back boiler had seized and needs replacing so it was not refilled after draining. I can call him at any time for the job which was a relatively small bill. On the tank itself some pipework did not fit and the access meant removing the internal shelving etc of the tank cupboard. At some point when I'm back in the swing I will refit it.
    Thank you all again. I'm sure you agree the original plumber was hardly professional. That overlooked I finally have hot water, yayyyy, Thank you all so much for your help. Very kind regards and well wishes to all of you. Dare I say it, groan, Merry Christmas xxx

8. Thanks for the update, Loz.

Very pleased the first guy never came back :)

You now have the details of someone you can rely on - that's always good. Recommend him to all and sundry - everyone benefits from a good personal recommendation.

Replacing the ballcock is actually a pretty straight-forward job and well within the abilities of a DIYer. We can guide you thought this if you feel it's something you'd like to try yourself when you are up to it.

Meanwhile, you can chust throw a couple of buckets of water in that tank! (Along with a dose of system inhibitor like Sentinel X100)

(Did the plumber not realise the tank wasn't filling?)

Anyhoo, the most important thing is your health, and I hope you continue to overcome what sounds like a horrible illness. How are you doing?

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Hope you get 100% well soon. Glad all has worked out for you.