Help ! How to Tighten Shower Trap?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Davie, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Davie

Davie Active Member

From the title you will realise that I am just a home owner in trouble.
    I have moved into a house with a shower cubicle and a tiled floor which makes access the the underside of the shower tray impossible. Recently whenever the shower is used the RCD trips. The shower trap is leaking where it attaches to the shower tray and water runs down onto electrics.
    The trap is loose in the tray, doesn't have a backnut so it seems I need to tighten the inlet down into the trap. But how to tighten it? does it need a special tool? And how to arrange a seal between the inlet and the tray that would allow the inlet to be rotated.
    This is a bit difficult to explain so the photos at http://www.callnetuk.com/home/davystokes/photos might explain better.
    The missis is getting a bit smelly so help would be appreciated. Davy

2. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Your link doesn't work.

BB

3. Davie

Davie Active Member

4. barnet bill

barnet bill New Member

normally you take out the hair gaurd (the bit with the holes in it)which has grooves on the end then insert it into the top of the trap and turn clockwise to tighten.

5. barnet bill

barnet bill New Member

sorry got that upside down leave in the bit with the holes then tighten it with the long bit,aligning the grooves.

6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I keep a bit of 2mm brass cut to fit between two of the groves that the grid fixes into just for that job, turn it with an adjustable spanner.

Jason

7. plummit

plummit New Member

I would use a jointing compound between the top of the shower, and the flange on the waste. DO not undo the threads all the way, as you may lose the trap. Maybe plumbers mait, or silicone. Hope the rubber on the trap is good and lines up.

8. plummit

plummit New Member

Has the waste fitting always been loose ?.
    struggling to understand how it has loosened.

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Pert B fits onto part A and will tighten up when inserted into part C.

It's basically a McAlpine top access Shower Trap or equivalent.

10. Davie

Davie Active Member

Don't know either how it it has come loose. Reluctant to use plumbers mate or silicon under an item that tightens by rotating. cheers David

11. plummit

plummit New Member

Reluctant to use plumbers mate or silicon under an item that tightens by rotating. cheers David
    Ok enlighten me. Cheers Rich.

12. plummit

plummit New Member

From the title you will realise that I am just a home owner in trouble.

I only plumb for a living.

13. Davie

Davie Active Member

Whoops Plummit, didn't mean to question your professional knowledge, I was, obviously very clumsily, describing my own reservations about some of the materials.
    The reason why I am reluctant to use a setting material such as plumbers mate or silicon under a screw fitting is that, in my ignorance, I imagined that if, at some time in the future, I had to undo or even just tighten up the fitting then the seal would be broken. Whereas something like a washer would maintain the seal intact.
    But, of course, if I were to stick a gasket or rubber washer under the outlet then the outlet would be raised above the tray and water would then puddle in the tray. If there was then even a slight imperfection in the seal between the outlet and the tray then the puddle would eventually dribble through it.
    So that in a nutshell is why I don't just get on with it and bung a rubber washer or silicon under the outlet.
    Many thanks, Davie

14. Beany

Beany New Member

Davie, Plmbers Mait is non setting so it can be used for the type of situation you're describing where future servicing may be necessary.

Good luck.
    Beany.

15. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

Are you sure that the rubber washer "D" goes ubder the shower tray between the shower tray and the trap.

If you look at

http://www.bathroomheaven.com/bh_buyonline/plumbingaccessories

and click on "tech drawing" on the first item, it looks as though the washer goes above the shower tray under "C".

I agree it is a bit difficult to tell but it looks to me as if the horizontal line that the measurements are from is the shower tray.

I fitted one ten years ago and never had a drip. I am no longer living in the same house so cannot have a look.

Why don't you look at one in a shed and open the packing, read the instructions and put it back on the shelf?

16. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Davie, the rubber washer definitely goes between the top of the bottom part of the trap and the underside of the shower tray. Put grid A into part C, then use part B as a spanner inserted in grid A to tighten part C into the bottom part of the trap. When tightened, remove grid A and insert part B and turn clockwise approx a quarter turn until it locks in place. Then replace grid A. That's it.

BB

17. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Also you should not need any plumbers mait or silicone sealant.

BB

18. Davie

Davie Active Member

Thanks guys - plumbers forum comes up trumps!

Thanks especially to Bathstyle and Britishblue who explained that the removable cylinder is also the tightening tool - it has crenelations on the bottom edge which fits into the grid. So I gather that it should only be tightened hand tight.

Also to Beany who assuaged my concerns by explaining that plumbers mate is non-setting. Britishblue says I should not need any sealant; whilst I have just discovered on the McAlpine web site the statement "Although all traps are supplied complete with Inlet Washers (according to diagram, only the washer between bottle and shower tray), it is nevertheless recommended that a suitable Jointing Compound be used." Nevertheless I have decided to go with Britishblue. If I assemble it without sealant and it doesn't leak then I will be confident that it probably never will; but if I use sealant then the seal could be broken in future by, for instance, unscrewing the bottom of the bottle.

I will be so relieved to have a shower again! Davie