Help needed for a old Fortic immersion heater,with the header tank built in

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bebradi, Nov 6, 2003.

1. bebradi

bebradi New Member

Hi, Please could anyone help me, I have a old Fortic tank, the tank needed a new element "so we drained it, and that was a nightmare !" , either the tank had no drain cock, or the person who installed it bury it into the corner, which is non accessable.
    So the situation at the moment is... it is all back to normal, with the new element installed. We have re-filled the tank and the element works okay, but we seem to have a airlock, and the hot supply only seem's to come out in a trickle.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. zont

zont New Member

The normal method is to connect a cold mains to the hot supply and using the pressure from the cold mains "blow" the airlock out, this can be done using the washing machine connectors as follows, use a W/M pipe & connect hot & cold together, open the hot valve then slowly open the cold valve( if you have a high pressure be gentle ) the cold will fill the hot pipe pushing it all the way back up the hot pipe to your hot tank up into the header tank then out the overflow when you see water coming out the overflow turn off both valves & turn a hot tap on this should cure your problem, if the slow flow is caused by some debris from when you fitted the new immersion heater hopefully it will dislodge it. good luck

3. bebradi

bebradi New Member

Hi,
    Thanks very much for your advice. I have had a break through, it seems to have rectified itself.
    What I did was leave the hot tap running for quite a few hours, and it sorted it