Help Needed - MDF Tacky Emulsion

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LordCroker, Jan 12, 2015.

1. LordCroker

LordCroker New Member

I recently purchased some MDF record storage boxes that required painting. I painted them using a silk emulsion, giving them four coats, and have to say when finished they looked good. The only problem was, that although the paint was dry, it still had a 'tacky' feel, even after a couple of weeks. Anything placed on or within the boxes stuck to the surface, not very good for storing records.

I intend to get some more of the boxes and was wondering if I'd have the same 'tacky' problem if I use a vinyl matt emulsion?

If so, what would be the best paint to use instead to avoid the 'tacky' problem?

Would a water based gloss paint be any good to use?

I'd much sooner use a water based paint, just for the speed and ease of cleaning up.

2. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Pre painting them did you seal the mdf with anything??, not saying you should have just asking in case that has reacted with the paint, failing that ??? as to what's going on, as for a water based gloss, I would have thought this would be more hardwearing in the long term.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You probably re-coated too quickly.

5. LordCroker

LordCroker New Member

Ghost-1 - The paint isn't chipping as such, it's just got a tacky/sticky feel. If you stand a glass on the top, you can feel it sticking to the surface.

Phil - no I didn't use a sealer on the MDF, just went straight in with the emulsion, covered really well too.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What paint did you use ??

7. LordCroker

LordCroker New Member

Chippie244 - I left it at least 24 hours between re-coats, and due to working in the week, it was sometimes a week before they where re-coated.

8. LordCroker

LordCroker New Member

B&Q Colour Silk Emulsion

9. Citko

Citko New Member

are you not supposed to use a wood or metal paint on MDF?

10. LordCroker

LordCroker New Member

I'd read on various sites that emulsion would be fine to use on MDF, not so sure now!

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Did you give the paint a good stir before using it?

12. LordCroker

LordCroker New Member

Yeah, each time.

13. Mr Corker, the issue you're having is not unusual.

It is especially bad with water-based 'satinwood' paints, and probably water-based gloss too. It dries ok, but stays tacky for weeks to anything that's placed on it...

Will matt emulsion be better? Yes, by a mile. But it won't be as durable - unless, perhaps, you use the best bathroom/'scrubable'/ washable types.

Ghost's suggestion for using the 'right' stuff for this sounds a good one - I'd be inclined to try that, personally.

Or, sometimes you can 'rescue' the finish you have by giving it at least a week to dry fully in the warm indoors, and then spraying a furniture polish on it - the type that leaves a dirt-shrugging finish, like silicone. This will help to make it 'non-stick'. BUT, that will also make it not suitable for repainting afterwards without fair sanding!

And a short-pile mini roller to apply the paint gives a great finish; very even, with the hint of a texture.

14. LordCroker

LordCroker New Member

Looks like matt emulsion might be the way to go.

Are you saying the stuff Ghost recommends would not dry tacky?

Cheers for your help.

15. I simply don't know as I've never used it (that's referring to Ghost's MDF paint).

But I'd hope - since it was seemingly designed to refurb cupboards and other melamine-covered thingies - that it wouldn't have this problem.

But I don't know.

If you want to play safe, perhaps matt is the way to go? But it would have to the the best scrubable stuff if it ain't going to look marked with yer vinyls sliding on them :)

I personally prefer the look of matt on MDF units - I have lots of home-made ones in my hoosie - but the matt emulsion is only on the fascias, doors and surrounds. My tops and shelves are all water-based satinwood which looks great and is very durable - but does have this issue you refer to.

I basically gave the satinwood finish a couple of weeks to dry and then sprayed them with furniture polish as mentioned before - and that has worked. When you move the tele is still goes "cick" as it unsticks, but it's not bonded or anything, and doesn't leave a mark any more.

16. LordCroker

LordCroker New Member

What about using something like this?

http://www.diy.com/rooms/crown-kitc...sion-paint-25l/126690_BQ.prd?_requestid=28793

Would I be able to use something like water based Ronseal Interior Clear Satin Varnish over the top to protect the paint, or would this just recreate the 'tacky' feel?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Ronseal-Interior-Varnish-Satin-Clear-750ml/p/117950

Again, thanks for your help.

17. Re: Kitchen Paint - I'm guessing it would be fine since it's 'matt'. That particular stuff you link to looks good, but I was mainly referring to the scrubable type - kid-proof stuff! - that most also sell. 'Cos if you go for matt emulsion, I reckon it would have to be a durable type to cope with your records.

That satin varnish would certainly help the 'sticky' issue - I am as sure as I can be (having used something similar - their 'Diamond Hard' range - or is that Dulux?) that it is (a) extremely durable and (b) non-sticky.

But, I don't know how well that varnish would adhere to silk emulsion - it probably will, but I don't know. Also, I'm not sure what a coat of varnish - even nice water-based stuff - will look like on emulsion paint. Again, it might look ok, or it could look cack...

What actual colour are you using?

18. LordCroker

LordCroker New Member

Colour wise, I'd want something sky blue/turquoise, bit vague that isn'n it!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  19. LordCroker

LordCroker New Member

20. Hmmm - I reckon there's every chance that stuff will be ideal.

Nice colour too :).

Sooooo, vinyl, eh? What era?