Help needed

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by sickyirvine, Sep 26, 2016.

1. sickyirvine

sickyirvine New Member

i am going to be putting real wood flooring on a breeze block wall that is plastered what's the best way to stick the wood to the wall

i am going to be putting real wood flooring on to a breeze block wall which is plastered what's the best wat to stick the wood to the wall

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Do you mind losing a wee bit of room - say, an inch? If not, then I guess the best way would be to first batten the wall and then attach the flooring to this - using secret nailing or whatever system the floor has.

If the floor is designed purely for 'floating' (no fixings), then you may need to glue it in place instead. I dunno - summat like StixAll would certainly hold it (just do a series of zig-zagged dabs), but the boards will need holding firmly in place while it sets.

You could use all manner of contact adhesives if you need an immediate bond.

I guess the first Q is - make and model of flooring you hope to use? And how would it be 'secured' to a floor?

3. sickyirvine

sickyirvine New Member

this is the wood I am going to use

Attached Files:

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Batten, glue and secret nail.

5. Would fit 2x1 roofing batten at 90°to whichever way you want to run the boards, then secret nail.

6. sickyirvine

sickyirvine New Member

Seen sum videos guys using a gue for cement floors and just sticking it straight to it

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Might work for a floor, but very much doubt whether it would work on a wall. Just out of interest, what's going to happen at the corners ? On a floor, a 12mm gap has to be maintained to allow for expansion. Same would surely apply to flooring stuck to walls?

8. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

A rethink may be needed here.
    Is the plasterwork dot and dab? Seems most likely and not suitable to take a weighty fixing.
    Might the breezers blow when any kind of screwfixing is done?
    Is there cornicing to work about?

http://www.photowall.co.uk/photo-wallpaper/custom

would this be a simpler option?

9. sickyirvine

sickyirvine New Member

I see on the web homes with very thick real wood on walls and shops it town with the Same thing looks very well I asked a shop owner were I first seen it how he did it he told me he glued flooring and nailed to a sheet of thin wood and screwed it to the wall could this work

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Keep the weight down by finding an 8mm engineered board with a real wood face.

Years ago you could buy 8x4 sheets of ply - possibly only 1/8" thick. The face side was good and varnished with small, microgrooves every 6" so it looked like boards - even when butted together the effect was good. Are they still available?

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Agree, if you're covering the whole wall make sure you batten every 600mm(just under 2ft) secret nail into the tongue of the board into the batten, and when it comes to the corners I'd leave a half inch gap and cover with a 3/4inch quadrant bead the same material as the covering. And don't glue the joints between planks, leave as they are.