Help on light switching

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by NoviceMan, Aug 25, 2016.

1. NoviceMan

NoviceMan New Member

Guys

I had a fluorescent strip in the garage but replaced with 2 normal ceiling lights when I converted the garage in two two rooms. Now I have 2 switches and each switch turns both lights on but I only want the switch in the room to turn on its own light. However I'm confused (it's easy to achieve this state for me) how can I do this ?

Hope you can shed some light on my problem

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

It just needs rewiring or the existing wiring amended. With the greatest respect if you cannot do this without advice you do need to employ an electrician who is registered with one of the national bodies.
    He should amend the circuit and test the results with test equipment that costs about £500. He should also ensure than the correct earthing (cpc) is in place which is necessary to do his tests.

3. NoviceMan

NoviceMan New Member

Thanks Paul I intend to but for my own curiosity I found that flourescent lights are wired differently than normal lights and wondered what is needing done to enable separate switch capability as the walls have all been finished as with the ceiling

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Unfortunately you should have thought about it at the time you were converting the rooms. It will probably upset your walls and decorating, maybe even the ceiling, to sort the wiring.

Kind regards

5. NoviceMan

NoviceMan New Member

Very true but originally it was one room so didn't really have the issue then however now I do.

Bathroom floor comes up soon can sparky work with the wall switches via this way ?

Bathroom above the rooms i forgot to mention

Also would appreciate a ball park likely cost for such a job if access is readily available through upper floor.

6. Bazza-spark

It may simplify things, but without knowing where cable runs are cant say for definite. Get your sparky in and he will advise.

Kind regards

7. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

maybe depending on how the cables are run. Between the switches you probably have a three core and earth so this could be ditched at the switch where the existing switch wire is and pulled back/ cut and taken to the second light and the cable that goes from the 1st light to the second swap the connections round to give a permanent feed at that the second light. If the floors are up above and cables run through the joists then should be an easy job for an electrician and wouldn't take that long and no damage to the walls.

8. NoviceMan

NoviceMan New Member

Thanks

The cables are run vertical from switch to ceiling (accessible from floor above) was originally to two flourescent tubes I took tubes away replaced with standard ceil rose and pendent for each flourescent through a 20 amp junction to allow for a longer cable this also accessible from floor above didn't touch switches on walls was beyond my capabilities as they didn't look like normal light switch wiring diagram.

Devon rates for the job ?

9. Bazza-spark

Many things possible Lee depending on runs and accessibility.

Kind regards

leesparkykent likes this.
  10. leesparkykent

Sorry mate haven't a clue on rates.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Simple if the switch drops are in conduit - not simple if the cables have been plastered into the chase.

12. NoviceMan

NoviceMan New Member

In void between PIR and plasterboard I believe

13. leesparkykent

even if they aint in conduit its still simple with no damage.

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

By doing the connections in the floor space you mean lee? So no vertical chasing needed

15. leesparkykent

I would make the connections at the ceiling roses.

16. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

17. leesparkykent

The 3core and earth that goes between the switches isn't needed as loosing the two way and making both switches/lights independent. Pull back/cut the 3core that goes to 1st switch and take it to second light and use that as the switch wire. The cable that goes from 1st light to the second swap the connection from switched live to permanent live and 3 plate the second light. Obviously the connections in switch one will have to be moved around to common and L1. Its not a difficult job if there is access from above to the cables/light positions and wouldn't take long at all. and by using the existing 2 core and earth there isn't a need to chase either wall.

NoviceMan likes this.
  18. leesparkykent

cant edit but meant to say 3core and earth.

19. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Where in Devon?