Help on what to treat on wooden doors

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by pringles, Nov 6, 2016.

1. pringles

pringles Member

Hi, thinking of replacing all my internal doors with the nice modern wooded ones, I.E from Howdens they are called Dordogne Oak hardwood doors. Don't want to get into tearing them like I do with the normal white doors? Do you have to treat or do most people keep them natural? If you do treat, what would be best, what product and how?
    Many thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually I would recommend Osmo Door-Oil, superb product by the way.

http://www.osmouk.com/sitechaptern.cfm?bookid=Products&chapter=82&page=274

But, I am confused, just look at link below,& they recommend varnish, stain or Osmo Oil ,but looking at bottom of page for Technical pdf for DIE46 &66 they say the following:

• This door is NOT suitable for waxes, polishes and/or oils, as these products do not seal the door properly and may cause veneer delamination.

So what do you use:confused:.
    https://www.howdens.com/doors-joine...rs/internal-hardwood-doors/dordogne-oak-door/

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Danish oil gives good results, but if you're worried about the statement in the clause above, I'd recommend going on Fiddes website, they are top notch and will guide you in whatever finish you'd like.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, Fiddes are good and have a helpful telephone service

5. Zooki

Zooki New Member

Edit: just saw the posts, seems oil/wax like Osmo is not recommended for your Howdens door..

Osmo Raw, is what I used on all my internal doors. The doors were all dipped, filled, sanded and cleaned up.. ready for oiling.

I chose the Osmo oil "raw", as it doesn't darken the doors too much. I didn't fancy having bright orange doors :) It keeps the doors protected whole maintaining the natural look of the wood.

This is the before :
    image.jpeg

And here is an after:
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg