Help Please - Driveway

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dhivach1, Apr 7, 2017.

1. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks everyone, have got in contact with a local civil engineering business so hopefully they will help if it comes to it. Having no luck at all with paving. Also in the middle of getting quotes to redo patio. Indian sandstone put down last year and every single slab can now be lifted (even by me). Just about giving up with home improvements

2. Doall

Doall Active Member

Where are you choosing your contractors from Out of interest ?

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Local caravan site by the looks of it. ☺☺

4. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

The patio was just a local firm who got good reviews and the second was from mybuilder site, again good reviews from past clients. We only moved here last year so couldn't really get personal recommendations. Fed up now saving for things like this only to be let down.

5. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Just what my hubbie said

6. Nice diagram: http://www.pavingexpert.com/dpc01.htm

And from there, a link to the actual Building regs: (Pages 29 & 30, on page 29, section 5.5 b) https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...achment_data/file/431943/BR_PDF_AD_C_2013.pdf

As JoT said above, no argument - just state the facts calmly and clearly along with these diagrams. Explain that you will accept an option to lowering the whole caboodle by 150mm and then tell them which you'd prefer (ie pea shingle or drainage channel as Phil the P (he has his uses...) says).

What I don't know is how wide that drain/shingle band needs to be to ensure no splashback from the paving on to the wall.

They ARE wrong here, no question at ALL. And it's such a basic error that it's a touch worrying (I'm a layman and I know this stuff, as do most DIYers on here).

If the guy is aggressive, bolshie or argumentative, remain TOTALLY calm and point out that his manner isn't helpful - and is being noted. These sorts of folk rely on the other person becoming aggressive in response, and then they can have a good old barney. Don't.

It doesn't matter that you've paid - although it would have been simpler if you hadn't yet. This is wrong and there's no way on this planet he'll get away with it. The bottom line is, he sorts it or else you'll get another contractor in to do so and sue them for the full cost. And you WILL win.

And you'll also stuff them up on the website where you found them...

But, I actually expect him to acknowledge that it's an error and offer to put it right very quickly. He'd be a twit to not do so.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Doesn't solve the problem, only bodging it, the paving needs to be 150mm lower, pointless having a dpc if your going to bridge it,then you can have your drainage channel.

8. You could well be right.

But if the existing slabs were kept at their current height, how wide/deep a channel would be required along the wall?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could use HexDrain Brickslot,or other drainage channel, but you still need to below the dpc, 150mm minimum due to splashback effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  10. Phil the Paver

There are thousand of houses in the same situation, most are brand new due to disability access laws.

My own house has a drainage channel level with the DPC and paving slabs beyond, 15 years on and no sign of damp on the walls.

So it's not a Bodge at all, its just not as recommended.

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

These trade sites should be held accountable I'm sick of hearing about customers parting with hard earned money only to be ****** over by some ******* bodger

12. I wonder how many on here use trade sites like those to find work, or would own up to it.

I steer clear of all of them, I hope most on here do too.

13. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thank you all for most helpful advice. Am hoping they will sort it quickly but have a feeling that's not going to happen. Am pretty sure the person whose coming out is probably going to be one of the guys who laid it so guess he's not going to admit his mistake. Reading your replies, it sounds as if it really needs all taken up and lowered, is that right?

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I say yes, as some on have said 'my own house has a drainage channel level with the DPC and paving slabs beyond, 15 years on and no sign of damp on the walls' you might be lucky, but there a risk that you could get penetrating damp & rising damp on your wall & causing additonal problems & expense if not paving is not lowered.

DPC's are covered in Building Regulations - Part C, around page 30.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...achment_data/file/431943/BR_PDF_AD_C_2013.pdf

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  15. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks Kiab, will print all info out so at least I've got something in writing to show him.

16. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Hi again, well it's taken this long to get guys back out. They're suggestion is to take out blocks running along the side of house and dpc it then put blocks back on. Any thoughts on this??

17. That means they accept there is an issue.

Don't rush to reply.

Ask for the report and their suggestion in writing.

Then you have evidence to help you decide what you want done.

18. Phil the Paver

The blocks along the house are not a problem in their own right, they are below or are level with the house DPC, the problem is that they are not 150mm below the house DPC, so remove a row and putting a DPC behind them will make no difference at all.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I can see this being the mother of all bodges, they are either going to curl up some DPC up the wall and under the sets or worse still paint on some liquid DPC which will prevent all moisture from the cavity seeping out below ground.

I do find " someone from the company (who are Civil Engineers) " quite amusing, that they have a civil engineering person yet make a basic mistake like this

20. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks for responses - my husband dealt with them today and think this is what they suggested. As well as removing the blocks, they will cut away some of the rendering then seemingly damp proof the wall above the blocks. Is that totally wrong??