Help Please - Driveway

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dhivach1, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

In a single word. YES.

it couldn't be more wrong, in fact worse than doing nothing.

2. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thank god I asked in here, cos hubbie was quite convinced by what they were saying. Phil, can you maybe write something down that I can copy and paste to them so they (and I) understand. Thanks

3. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Oh and what they said that the bit they covered was not actually the DPC

4. Phil the Paver

That's proberly true, but what they have done is go to close to it, they are supposed to be 150mm below it.

Now I know there are lots of houses that are not 150mm below DPC but most will have taken some action to prevent problems, either be leaving a gravel filled gap or fitting drainage channels, a system I myself have at home with no problems.

5. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks Phil, so you think the best options are they should re-lay (which I have no doubt they probably won't do) or fit a drainage channel

6. Phil the Paver

I honest don't see them taking it all up, so a drainage channel is the next best option.
    Good luck.

7. Jeepers, this chust gets more worrying.

We are all assuming that the DPC is at or below that new paving level - certainly there is no evidence of it showing. My own bungalow is rendered all the way down to the ground with no visible DPC, so I'm guessing it's been rendered over as part of the original build (late 1930s).

However, in your case I am assuming that the DPC is not visible because they've paved up to it - can you confirm this? Was the DPC visible (like your neighb's) before this job?

If so, then it needs taking down to below that level. You don't need ALL the paving taken down, just a strip alongside the house. I would not let them TOUCH the actual house wall or render - these are unreasonable solutions, especially when the proper one isn't even being entertained by them.

Have another look at this: http://www.pavingexpert.com/dpc01.htm Scroll half way down the page until you come to "Bending the rules" and then "Workarounds".

I would say that these are the only acceptable solutions - other than lowering the whole paving level. Personally, I would be happy with the 'Dry Area' arrangement. Note that the lowered strip should be at LEAST 75mm below DPC level, and that is already a compromise over the reg's 150mm level.

Also, a gravel-lined strip doesn't let the rain bounce up as high so is better than a solid bottom.

That article also has the warning that, when you come to sell, a surveyor will almost certainly pick up on this compromise. In practice, provided you can say (probably in writing) that you've never had any issues with damp due to this, most people will find it ok.

8. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks, will see what their "Civil Engineer" says!!! What shall I say to his option and why I disagree to it. Hi DA, yes our drive was exactly the same as next doors but the guys today said that bit you can see was not the dpc!!!

9. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

They actually did not accept there was an issue but was just doing this extra work for peace of mind :)

10. if they are offering extra work for peace of mind they are accepting there is an issue, even if they haven't actually said so.

Get it in writing, what they suggest and are prepared to do, and why

11. So your wall was like your neighb's - rendered down to about 100mm off the ground, whereupon the render stopped at a crisp horizontal line and the wall stepped in slightly?

In which case that was almost certainly the DPC. Ie - that SHOULD have been the DPC.

And that stepped-in line is now covered by the paving? Is it roughly AT the paving level, or a wee bit below (let's hope ''at'...)

Can we emphasise - these folk have got it wrong. What's more, their mistake is basic and fundamental and most DIYers wouldn't have done this. I'm a DIYer, and I know this. Phil is a pro and he knows this.

EVERYONE knows this.

And, you know what? These guys know it too. They must. They simply cannot be unaware of this. Can not be.

So, the situation is that the PDC has quite possibly been breached but, even if it hasn't, the paving has been taken up to its level - whereas it should be - by regs - at least 150mm below.

The solution is for them to sort out their mistake, not to try and compensate by adding waterproofing 'protection' to your wall (which will almost certainly fail after a few years, and would likely be an eye-sore anyway...)

Be clear on one thing - you could insist they remove it all and lower it; that is the fully correct solution. They should at least have discussed this with you before starting and agreed on a compromise such as the Dry Area strip. Instead they went ahead and did an incorrect job. And they are compounding their error by not fixing it properly.

Have you fully paid for the job? If not, then that's the best lever over them. If you have paid, you are still protected under consumer rights law - be in no doubt whatsoever that if they fail to sort this, or don't agree to sort it the way YOU want (eg Dry Area strip) then you can get someone else to do so instead and sue them for the cost. And you WILL win - no question.

So, tomorrow, be calm but insistent. Tell them you've done your research and have obtained advice from other pros. Show them the diagrams on that Paving Expert site - make clear to them that is the only solution (other than FULL removal) that you'll accept.

You will NOT entertain any work being carried out on your wall as a water barrier to compensate for their error - you don't want your wall touched!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  12. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Thanks have messaged him but bet he will just try to speak about it over the phone - we'll see :)

13. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

Many thanks DA, not exactly sure but think the blocks are above the level :( Yes all houses about here are exactly the same. Can't see this getting resolved anytime soon unfortunately but will see if he replies to my message then respond with your advice.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yes is wrong.

Plus if they can't do something as simple as laying paying stones on top of sand, do you really want them hacking bits off your house ?

15. dhivach1

dhivach1 New Member

You're right :) Know this is a long shot but wondering if anyone on the forums know anyone like a Civil Engineer, Surveyor, Builder or something who we
    can pay to maybe write a report for us. We live in Perthshire. I've been trying to contact a few local firms but obviously its not something they
    usually do.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A total bodge.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This is well within the realms of a an architect or structural engineer to write a report for you. In Scotland you may be able to get the Building Standards officer to call to give their viewpoint because it potentialy compromises the building integrity. It is one of those cases where playing the "damsel in distress" card, works well

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. It really shouldn't be for you to 'prove' this is wrong - it is SO wrong it couldn't be more wrong.

You simply do NOT cover the DPC layer of the house with the external ground level - you chust don't do this.

I don't know how BCOs work in Scotland, but perhaps give them a call and see? Also a quick call to your local Trading Standards at your council. Tell them you've had a paving drive laid - nice looking job - but the guys have taken the paving right up tight to the house wall and gone above the DPC layer. You are worried about penetrating damp - what do they suggest?

Doall likes this.
  19. This is what should have happened when you called these (and the other) guys out for a quote, dh; they should have carried out a brief survey and then had a good chat with you.

They should have explained what they were planning to do - how they'd do the job. Part of that should have been to discuss at least two options, with the pros and cons of each - so you could make an informed decision.

1) They'd lower the whole area's level by a further 150mm so that the finished level was adequately - building regs - below DPC level. Pros - it's the 'best' solution. Cons - it'll cost a more (removal of more subsoil) and it may cause issues with differing levels elsewhere (I don't know if that applies?) - ie a step now needed down to this lower level from the street, or from the pathway or whatever?

2) They fit a 'Dry Area' strip alongside the house as shown in that website I linked to, and perhaps also even compromise on the actual height below DPC required perhaps down to 100mm or even 75mm. Pros - cheaper. Cons - it is a compromise both visually and perhaps in performance (especially if 150mm drop isn't used).

The 'third' option is the one they should not have done - but did; lay the paving at a height that covered the DPC and then walk away trying to tell you it's fine.... Compounded by them then trying to modify your wall to cope with their mistake!

Jeepers...

Dh - you need to be a bit more assertive, methinks. You are in the right - they are in the wrong. The law is here to protect you. Give your BCO a call (or pop down to the council office) and see what they have to say - I'd hope it would be "I cannot comment on your specific issue as I haven't seen it, but in general - yes, that's completely wrong..." You could then ask them for advice on how to sort it, that the builders are talking about adding waterproofing to your walls instead (watch the expression on his face...)

If you get a good response from both the BCO and Tradings Standards, I think you'll notice a sea-change in the builder's attitude when you drop that in to the conversation. :)

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What would really get me annoyed in this situation is not so much the shoddy attempt at laying the drive but the potential or actual damage that is done to the fabric of the house.

You've paid a lot of money, and not only is it waste as the drive is so ****, but you've actually paid someone to damage your property. Grrr :mad:

masterdiy likes this.