Help please for staining and sealing the treads on the staircase.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by soupermario, Jul 25, 2014.

1. soupermario

soupermario New Member

Hi
    I am looking for help with my staircase please. I have pine treads and have removed the paint and sanded in preparation for the next step where I am completely stuck what to do next.
    I need help with these questions please and it needs to be easy for a beginner as I haven't done this before. Thanks in advance

Do I need to pre-treat the pine in case it soaks in the stain unevenly? the stairs are 20yrs old.

What is a good stain? currently looking at Colron Wood Dye from Homebase. Will this work with the pre-coat?

The YouTube tutorials I watched say to finish with Polyurethane I can't find this in the UK what can I use instead?

Any other advice gratefully received
    Thanks

thelockman likes this.
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You may well have problems with the stain soaking in unevenly on a previous painted and stripped surface, Colron wood dye/stain is fine to use however you may find that sealing the surface first then applying 2-3 coats of a transparent wood finish to be a better choice.

soupermario likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Astramax is the expert but as an aside polyurethane varnish is extremely common.

soupermario likes this.
  4. soupermario

soupermario New Member

Thanks for your responses. Transparent wood finish is a varnish then? What is a good one? Still going round in circles reading what to buy but think this may be a good idea? 1 litre semi gloss at £28 http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/hard-wax-oil to finish as a top coat because if I varnish then it may get messed up quickly but if I use this stuff it is a wax which I can then polish and keep nice looking. Also I think the semi gloss will give a good sheen.

Can anyone recommend a pre conditioner that is a reasonable price and works with the Colron Wood Dye which I can collect from Homebase nearby? please and thanks x

Or else 3 product names or what I can google which people normally use to do this job and where to order them would be much helpful I'm very stuck with this and reading for ages is just confusing me.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  5. soupermario

soupermario New Member

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As a stain Sadolin Classic would be best (available in a range of shades) followed by Sadolin PV 67. Look on youtube Sadolin PV67. These are professional products that are the bee's knee's for a top notch finish. Not cheap DIY rubbish.

soupermario likes this.
  7. soupermario

soupermario New Member

Thanks Astramax :) off to look that up just now x

8. soupermario

soupermario New Member

Oh dear, right I think I am getting there, just read that people use Sadolin Classic indoors as well so I'm going to go with your recommendations for that and it looks good thanks. So I have Sadolin PV67 1L Satin £22.95 and Sadolin Classic 2.5L £30.49 in my basket so that should be enough? Got extra on the Classic as I have also got an outdoor job to do.

So can I possibly trouble you once more for a compatible sealer for the first coat please it has to be an acid catalysing system and not water based (yt vid)

Thanks in advance again x

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The sealer would be the 1st coat of the PV 67. None of these products are water based.

10. soupermario

soupermario New Member

Ok thanks so it's one coat of Classic and two coats of PV 67 and that's it?

Just asking because you said this -

You may well have problems with the stain soaking in unevenly on a previous painted and stripped surface, Colron wood dye/stain is fine to use however you may find that sealing the surface first then applying 2-3 coats of a transparent wood finish to be a better choice.

Sorry for this it's just so I know exactly what to do and won't have to ask again. :oops: I watched how to apply the Sadolin Classic and he said that it can only be one coat and I am worried that the pine might go blotchy. I had watched the ones where you apply the stain with a rag and work it in until you get the correct shade and thought I could manage that but a little worried about trying this. Thanks for the varnish based option as I forgot that if I went with the wax it might end up slippy so this is the best idea. Thanks lots this is a great help because if I mess it up it will be terrible x

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

From what I remember it's 3 coats of PV 67, last one I did was 3 years ago :cool: and required 6 litres, came up a treat though.

soupermario likes this.
  12. soupermario

soupermario New Member

6 litres! that costs a lot, over £100 but it's worth it if it does a great job and as you say it's not the DIY stuff. I bet the job that you done looks great and having the 3 coats of varnish will keep it looking good for ages. :)

I am only doing the treads on mine though (12 stairs) and going to paint the risers because they are made of plywood and the 6" stripes of paint at either end are just too difficult to get off. I am hoping for this look http://inmyownstyle.com/2011/01/my-foyer-staircase-reveal.html

Going to order the 1L can and try and work out how much more it will need. Then if it's loads I'll do it in instalments and hope for the best.

The plan is this - one coat of Sadolin Classic followed by 3 coats of PV67 as recommended.

Don't I still need to apply a wood conditioner/sealer before I do any of this though in case the wood doesn't stain evenly? This is what I was learning http://www.familyhandyman.com/woodw...etting-blotches-and-dark-spots/view-all#step2

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As I said in my 1st reply, you may find sealing the surface first would help as long as it takes the Sadolin Classic over it.

soupermario likes this.
  14. soupermario

soupermario New Member

So I think you're saying?

one coat of PV 67
    one coat of Sadolin Classic
    two coats of PV 67

but in the video for the PV 67 that you said to watch at 38 seconds he says this "PV 67 would normally be put onto bare timber or if you want to put a colour you need to put on one coat of Sadolin Classic".

maybe it's a wood conditioner that should go on first? Maybe it will be ok to skip this as it was only 6" stripes painted down both sides of the treads and risers?

sorry x:oops:

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No!

Sealer?
    Sadolin Classic
    3 coats of PV67

or leave out the sealer altogether and do the rest. So just classic and PV 67

soupermario likes this.
  16. soupermario

soupermario New Member

Ok I will just do as you said x Thank you very much for helping me as I was really stuck with this.

Kind regards :)

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Hope things are clear now, let us know how you get on! :)

soupermario likes this.