Help Please! what should I charge!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Aleister, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Aleister

Aleister Member

Sparky couldn't turn up so had to remove 9 surface mounted double sockets and wiring , sink 9 double sockets into the wall, chase out, rewire new ring main underfloor (3 rooms, though carpets were already up) back to consumer unit, replaster chases, did basic resistance check on live and neutral to confirm ring and 1000v earth insulation test (yes I am a plumber but do own a megger) connected to new consumer unit (sparky had already fitted this) it was split load RCD protected so if I was a complete numpty it would have tripped, customer had all materials on site but it took me far longer to do than when I was young, what do you think I should reasonably charge for this ( when sparky comes out of hospital he is scheduled to do full test and inspection)

2. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Why did you carry out an insulation resistance test at 1kVd.c.?

3. Aleister

Aleister Member

Just to check ! been a long time since I had to do any wiring!!

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

That's going to put the OP on the back foot, why not answer his question directly, he's given plenty of info regarding his dilemma tbh.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  5. Aleister

Aleister Member

Used to do it as a matter of course back in the day, not done wiring for 10 years, is it frowned upon now?

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

No mate, an insulation test is most accurate using more volts to show any discrepancies.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

But should not be carried out at 1kV.

8. Aleister

Aleister Member

anyone, anyone bueller, bueller!

9. Aleister

Aleister Member

Anyone got any idea what I should charge? please, need to give customer the bill tomorrow

10. Aleister

Aleister Member

Took me a 2 days in total which (at my plumbing rates) would be £544 but suspect a sparky would do it in less time

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Soooo, rather than beating around the bush, and asking rhetorical questions, why not just answer the ops question, he has said the circumstances that he tested, if they have changed just enlighten, not attempt to belittle.

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

You did the work, you carry the responsibility.

Charge the rate you are happy wth.

Kind regards

13. Aleister

Aleister Member

Fair point Bazza, but I am probably a lot slower than an experienced electrician, the customers are pensioners, and I don't want to charge them way more than a reasonable rate, they were stuck, I helped out but it doesn't mean I should profit from their bad luck

14. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

A couple of days to do that isnt bad considering you made good and you was alone.

I'd say you're charges wouldn't be terrible if you quote £60 per socket, chased and made good then thats a great price imo !

15. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Well said and a very valid point indeed :)

Rulland likes this.
  16. Aleister

Aleister Member

Thanks quiche81 been a long time since I did any electrics, and i was working for someone else then so I had no idea about reasonable charging, appreciate the advice guys, still not sure why 1000v earth insulation test is innapropriate, should check it out, I may learn something!!!

17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

A true electrician, my hats off to you mate, charge a rate that will cover your costs and not leave you out of pocket, fine line between earning a living and doing the right thing, I know what I'd do, and we'll all be basking in heavens sunshine eh?.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  18. Aleister

Aleister Member

Cheers Rulland, not been a sparky for a long time, but I like to be able to sleep at night with a clear conscience!

19. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

And I think you will mate,
    Rich.

20. Aleister

Aleister Member

If you ever need some plumbing advice, let me know