HELP!! Rendering onto OSB. Can anyone help me with what i need to do.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by alex clarke, Mar 10, 2014.

1. alex clarke

alex clarke New Member

I am building an outdoor kitchen for gas bbq etc. I will be using metal studs to make the framework and lining it in OSB3. I would then like to render it. I have heard i need building paper and mesh before i render. Anyone able offer advice on what type of paper i need as I can only find something called tyvek and the images seem to be using it as roofing felt? will this be ok if I the put mesh over and render ontop of it? Any advice will be very much appreciated. when i look online it seems to come up with american results using hardibacker and stucco which i do not know where to get these from and also I have loads of OSB3 in the garage.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon guys. Cheers, Al

Ted Leger likes this.
  2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

what type of ''metal studs'' have you used ?

Ted Leger likes this.
  3. alex clarke

alex clarke New Member

Ted Leger likes this.
  4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

can you post some image of your frame ?

if the frame is strong and rigid enough you won't need OSB - just clad with a cement board (also known as tile backer board) - SS mesh and render over - which is a lot of fuss and expense and certainly not designed with long term use in mind

can't you just block build it ? - build in some compartments to slide the cabinets into, and cast the worktop in-situ

Ted Leger likes this.
  5. alex clarke

alex clarke New Member

I haven't started building it yet. I hope to start soon. I have loads of OSB3 and metal studs and rails in the garage left over from a project. I am no good at blockwork so can not really do it myself. Just thought it would be a good way to use it all up, but when it came to finishing over OSB wasn't sure how to go about it. I agree that block would be better but I am not blessed with bricky skills. Cheers

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I'd forget about trying to use your leftovers - you might make a reasonable unit that will survive the climate I suspect the one described in that Instructable is designed for - it'll quickly turn into an eyesore over here

that's the perfect project for blocking - even for someone allergic to heavy things

7. alex clarke

alex clarke New Member

Forgot to mention that I live in the south of France. I wouldn't have considered it if i still lived in Surrey!

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I'd still do it in blocks :rolleyes:

9. plane-it

plane-it Member

If you read the exchanges below the build thread you'll see that another outdoor kitchen made from OSB was finished within a couple of months! Block or hardiebacker looks the way to go, plenty of hardiebacker suppliers in the UK, you'll only need the 6mm stuff (usually goes on floors) for such a small construction, I use the the 12mm for shower wall builds.

BTW if you are looking for it in France this site should help: http://www.jameshardie.fr/

I've noticed the 12mm boards are covered in French: 'La plaque support carrelage'

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

once he's costed it using cement boards he'll be buying himself a big trowel and a long level

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  11. plane-it

plane-it Member

True, and the blocking effort could be cosmetically poor but the render would cover most problems. Although he'd probably do a better job with a trowel! :D

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

:p

13. alex clarke

alex clarke New Member

Thanks for getting back to me guys but I still haven't had the question answered about how to render over OSB. (I really don't want to come across unappreciative or rude at all and I really appreciate your suggestions about block. If it came across that way then I apologise profusely and do not intend to sound that way at all).
    The climate here in France is dry pretty much all year round and the kitchen is being constructed under a covered dining veranda next to the pool. It won't be subjected to rain, snow or high winds etc etc. I know that OSB3 will be fine construction wise and i know it can be rendered but what I'm trying to find out is the type of building paper that i need to use over OSB then fix mesh lathes to. All the advice refers to it as building paper but there appear to be many different types of building paper. I'm building it for this summer and as long as it lasts a few years it's fine by me, I'm confident it will last longer as it is covered and my climate here is hugely different to that of Godalming. Once again i do appreciate your advice but I'm really after finding out how to render over OSB. Kind regards, Al

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

any membrane/building paper will do - wrap it round the OSB, pin SS rendering mesh to it - apply render

15. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

just a thought, might not be viable, but if each section of the kitchen could be made out of one sheet of board, no joints, then couldn't you just paint it with a textured waterproof paint.

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

artex hyclad peut-ĂȘtre ?

17. plane-it

plane-it Member

18. plane-it

plane-it Member

19. alex clarke

alex clarke New Member

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

20. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That's the kiddy, save all that messing about with render that'll proberly fall off any way, the one the OP listed is done in a similar thing that the Yanks call Stucco.