Help required - paint not sticking

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Flick1, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Flick1

Flick1 New Member

Hi All,

Would appreciate some help. I am in the process of painting my kitchen.
    The paint is good quality emulsion but is not sticking to the wall (the wall is not plaster only, I am applying over already existing paint layers and have cleaned/prepped this).
    I'm on layer 3 and although it's drying it can be rubbed off fairly easily (this paint would never normally require more than 2 coats even on darker colours).
    I am thinking that the old paint might be oil based?
    Would a thin layer of undercoat be OK to apply to get it to stick so that I could put the emulsion on top?

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. PLPlanning

PLPlanning New Member

Sounds like you'll need to seal the old surface. The new paint could be peeling for a variety of reasons. There are a number of surface sealers out there, Zinsser being one. Very good products. Rub down paint apply and leave to dry, then apply your finish paint.
    If you go to a decorator suppliers such as a Brewers, they will help you choose the right product, as they do vary in price and the cheaper one might be good for what you want.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Exactly what emulsion are you using?

4. Flick1

Flick1 New Member

Thanks for your response PLPLanning, will give it a try.

Astramax, I'm using a Johnstones Matt emulsion - has worked fine on everything else as I've been doing other rooms with it .

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Apply 2 coats of Zinsser Bullseye 123, Screwfix will be a better price than Brewers for this product. As it's a kitchen did you wash the walls with a sugar soap solution.

6. Flick1

Flick1 New Member

Thanks all, sounds good. I did clean it with sugar soap in case of grease etc, just think it seems an odd paint.. Sounds like zinsser is the place to start.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser Bullseye 123 is a high adhesion primer and requires up to 5 days to fully cure but can be re-coated within the hour. Read the instructions on line or product container.