Help required stripping a wall down...

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by T100, Oct 5, 2014.

1. T100

T100 Member

Hi All,

So, I'm having difficulty with stripping a concrete cavity wall and wondered if any of you can provide some much needed advice?

We've just bought a new place and one of the walls in the bedroom was wall papered which I have managed to successfully remove. Underneath was lining paper which I have pretty much got rid of too.

But... In my scraping frenzy I have since scraped off varying layers of paint uncovering different colours on different areas of the wall - pink, grey, blue and terracotta red, leaving a rough uneven surface - even after sanding with coarse then fine sand paper and washing.

Seeing all these different colours, I'm starting to worry that I may have scraped off one layer too far and taken the plaster off and gone straight through to concrete.

So...
    • How do I know if I have taken the layers off down to the concrete?
    • If I have, what's the solution? Re-plastering?
    • If it's okay and re-plastering isn't required, what is the most effective way to get the walls nice and smooth?
    Thanks very much. I eagerly await your advice!

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When you say 'concrete' wall do you mean that the house is built by concrete shuttering i.e. a Wimpey-no fines house?

3. T100

T100 Member

Hi Jitender,

But I'm a complete novice and have no idea what you're asking! :-s

Sorry mate, feel free to talk to me like an idiot. I am one. :)

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

These houses aren't built using standard brick, but built by using form-work. A mixture of cement and stones are used to bind the stones together. They were built after the war 1940-1950s and are mostly local authority owned.

this is a pic of a house:

upload_2014-10-5_20-4-27.jpeg

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can you post up a pic or two.

If you still have paint present, I doubt you have gone through the plaster, if that is indeed what the walls are coated with, my house has cement rendered walls, hard as nails but a complete bar steward to paint over, have to use lining paper everywhere.