Help with chimney breast removal

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by David H123, Sep 16, 2014.

1. David H123

David H123 Member

Ideally, I would like to remove this chimney breast from both floors but depending on how much extra it would cost, I may just go for the ground floor only since the first floor one will be inside a fitted wardrobe.

[​IMG]

I have received a quote for £4600 to do both floors and £3400 to do the ground floor only. These prices include everything from start to finish such as the building application, skips, plastering etc.

Firstly, are these reasonable quotes for the work, or can it be done much cheaper for the same work?
    Secondly and more importantly, how much do you think the absolute minimum it could be done for if I got someone to just remove the bricks and secure the remaining breast? I will then fill in the floor(s) and replaster.

I know this is something you can't mess about with but I'm really trying to budget since I've got a lot of other expenditures. Removing the ground floor breast especially will make a big difference to my plans.

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

2. I dunno if these are reasonable costs 'cos I'm not a builder.

Seems weird to me tho' - removing chust the ground floor will mean making brackets at ceiling height to support the chimney above - ok that's a fair bit of work, but I'm guessing the stack outside will remain?

Whereas also removing the breast above is 'only' a further £1200 - which in theory includes taking down the whole stack and making good the roof?

Simpler and dead cheap part-solution - cut a horizontal slice into that breast at whatever height you choose (pretty much) and slip in a lintel. Then cut a large opening below this, allowing enough material at each side to support the lintel.

Make it a feature of your kitchen - build your units up to and in front of it, and use the recess for wine storage or something imaginative and decorative. I would suggest the cooking hob except that's gonna be an an island?

3. David H123

David H123 Member

Thanks once again. I know people have made good use of chimney breasts in a kitchen such as installing a range cooker into it. Unfortunately it's just in a very awkward place for me as it's stuck between the kitchen and living room area. The other option is to have the kitchen units on the opposite side of the wall (possibly easier for the pipes too) but it just doesn't look right when you come into the room.

If they were to remove just the ground floor then I can choose to have it supported just above the first floor (no one will see it as it's in a wardrobe), otherwise they would continue upwards and support it in the loft.

It all comes down to labour costs really. I wish I had the money to throw at the pros so looks like I'm gonna have to keep plodding on hopefully get a positive result.

Yes, I am hoping to have the gas hob on an island.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  4. :eek: So the £4,600 doesn't include taking down the whole stack and closing the roof?! They would support the external stack from the loft?!!

Jeepers - props and brackets and sh*.

It cannot be more difficult to sort the stack the opposite way to how it was built - remove it from the top down! No props no nuffink. Once they're through the roof, felt batten and tile it over - peasy. Then carry on inside - you could even do it yourself, one brick at a time :D.

Really, if you wanna lose yer chimney, you really want it all gorn. They are a long-term pita - leakin', crackin', flashin', water-ingressin'...

That has got to be an expensive quote - surely?

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

it would seem to me that the builder was interested in the full job but not in the bottom story only job, I can understand the £4600 quote for the full cos its a very labour intensive job, plus scaffold ,numerous skips and lots of dirt and dust, the bottom storey only is a lot less work cos its all contained in the one place so should be a lot less, but hey, I'm not a builder niether o_O

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

If your going to remove the whole chimney breast all the way up, then it's worth removing it above the roof. I'm not sure if gallows brackets (to support the remaining chimney in the loft) are allowed these days (someone will be along later to confirm this or blow me out of the water) ;);)

PS, I assume the quote from the builder, includes bonding and skimming the walls after the chimney breast is removed ??

PPS, your photoshop skills leave a lot to be desired (there again I have been to Dollond and Aitcheson recently) :p:p

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I was't sure why, but now you've pointed it out JJ I can see the bird is a inplant, nice though, :)

8. David H123

David H123 Member

The builder was quoting the whole package up into the loft.

After posting this thread, I did some more research about what was involved exactly, saw photos and thought I could do this! I'm sure I sound cocky saying this especially if unseen or uncommon complications arise but as long as the breast is supported properly with gallows (or not if the neighbour has already had his removed) in the loft then is it not just a case of removing the bricks as you've said until I get to the bottom?

I may just get someone to install the gallows even though after reading councils' recommendations it seems straight forward enough. It's just the legalities I need to be clear on which I'm scared about! Thanks.

P.S. The Photoshop face was a 3 minute job - Just wish removing the chimney took the same time!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

If ya'd spent another minute on it, you could have given her bigger breasts too. (and had lots more people looking at yer photo) :p:p:p:p:p:p

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Nice photo!