Help with light fitting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dan12345, May 27, 2016.

1. Dan12345

Dan12345 New Member

dear all
    I am fitting an outside light and I have problems with wires and colours , I'm a complete novice .

The wires from the house are
    Grey
    Black
    Brown
    Green/yellow

However in the light Fitting it has 3 connectors and the wires feeding into those are
    Green/yellow
    Brown
    And 2 blue wires in one connector

Which wire do I connect with which and as I have 4 wires will 2 have to go in the same connector ?

Thanks

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

you need to establish what the colours are doing. if you don't posses test equipment then you will need the help of someone who does like an electrician.

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

has one of the wires from the house got a bit of blue sleeving on it? I presume there was an old light up, did you note what goes where.

The brown obviously goes to the brown and likewise the green/yellow, however either the grey or the black should connect to the blue, it depends on who has wired it, if its a conformist fagg0t then the grey will connect to the blue, however if a spark that can think outside the box has wired it then the black will connect to the blue.

4. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

You're asking for it now...... I'm a conformist BTW, qualified under new colours

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmm sounds like security light wiring - L1 normal and L2 override - colours doing what? haven't got a clue - maybe black neutral, brown L1, and grey L2..I don't know.