Help with new room!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jones_, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Jones_

Jones_ Member

Hello there

I need some help with a new room. I have just got the keys to our new house and would like to make a small room into a awesome bed room. The idea is to make a small room into a small bedroom to save lots of space the room will have one cupboard and a single bed also a desk.

Here is some photos of the room on sketch up please can you tell me if there are any problems with it. Please help me by telling me what materiel to use for the 2nd floor and what type of wall to build.

Thank you so much!
    Jones
    Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 14.20.49.png Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 14.21.15.png Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 14.21.31.png

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Basically a mezzanine area, easy between to walls.

What size is the room.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  3. Jones_

Jones_ Member

I don't know right now but ill will look for it in my notes.

4. Jones_

Jones_ Member

W 156 cm

L 315 cm

H 205 cm

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Hi

Are these the measurements of the room or the structure you want to build? The 205 cm is low for a ceiling and if you have a standard height ish ceiling 240 cm you won't have enough room on top to sit up.

6. Jones_

Jones_ Member

They are the measurements of the room right now and at the desk area you cant stand up but I will be sitting down most of the time and 240 cm is a standard height... I must of got it messed up :(

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Don't worry so easy to do 204 instead of 240 - why do you think the majority of us on here will have a large collection of "off cuts"

8. Jones_

Jones_ Member

9. Mr Jones, the simplest way to do this - certainly the way I think I'd tackle it (and I always go for simple...) is a timber frame clad with MDF. That way you'll have a good and durable surface finish ready for the paint of your choice.

The frame can be made from CLS, either 3x2 - or 4x2 if you feel you must. The beams for the bed, however, should be 6x2's I reckon.

What further info do you need?

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You don't say what your existing wall construction is but if you could move the door you might be able to have a cabin bed with a wardrobe underneath and the work table and still have full height by the door, photos of existing room would help.

11. Jones_

Jones_ Member

Thank you guys! Devil's Advocate I just need the info about what to make the walls out of how strong the platform needs to be and stuff like that. Thank you!

Have a lovely day guys! :)

12. Here's crude...

Knock it all up using nice clean CLS, 3x2 will be fine. The only exception is the bed frame - that'll need to be strong against bending so I'd suggest 6x2 there.

The rest is basic assembly - just use screws, but pre-drill holes. For the desk, screw the two horizontals to the sides of the uprights and also glue them (PVA) 'cos they'll have to take a fair amount of downforce.

Once it's all built, you'll then need to clad it all in something suitable. If you want a smooth finish ready for painting, then MDF is the obvious choice, I reckon, 'cos it's a structural material in its own right. It'll need a lot of cutting and trimming tho'.

Just butt-joint the MDF - overlap them in external corners - which will mean a smooth surface meeting a rough cut end. You can smooth down that end to match the smooth surfaces using sandpaper, but the ends will still be more rough as it's 'end grain'. However, a couple of thick coats of water-based primer (or even matt emulsion paint) followed by finer-grade sanding will have it blending in.

The bed panel will need to be stronger, tho' - I dunno - 18mm ply or chipboard (eg - flooring panels).

This is a nice project, but will take longer than you think and be more work than you may imagine. The cutting of the MDF sheets to size will be the most challenging, so you'll need some good hand saws with sharp, fine-toothed blades.

If you use a jig saw and the edges, when butted together, have lots of ragged edges and gaps, don't worry - just run a bead of decorator's filler in there. Make sure it's stuff that will withstand some movement and can be sanded down.

I often use solvent-free adhesive for this (no-nails type stuff) and use it to not only glue the panels together, but also act as a filler - ie run a good bead, fix panels in place (30mm panel pins will do), and then wipe away the excess adhesive with a damp cloth - this should leave a neat join.

Attached Files:

13. Jones_

Jones_ Member

WOW Thanks so much this is really helpful. Your amazing at drawing! Thank you for your time! Have a nice day.

From Jones.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015