Help With Odd Fan Switch in Bathroom Please.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Shani, May 21, 2012.

1. Shani

Shani New Member

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me.
    My bathroom light switch has fallen apart today and I am wondering if anyone can help me with identification of the type.
    The switch controls both the bathroom light and fan which runs on in timer mode after the light is turned off.

The fan also provides extraction to the toilet next door to the bathroom with a switch there also, the fan runs in the toilet if the bathroom light is used and runs on in timer mode also (There is basically a vented hole through to the bathroom with the fan unit on the wall in the toilet).

I would like to replace the switch like for like but i can't find anything that matches.
    Is it double pole? or intermediate? 2 way? 1 way?
    It has four terminals DP IN with L2 and L3 one side DP OUT with L1 COM 2 WAY and L4 the other side.
    Its has 6AX  and CRABTREE on the bottom.

All the lives go to L3 with a live link lead to L2, there is a black and yellow to L1 COM 2 WAY and a seperate black to L4

Any ideas on a suitable replacement or what to do? I have attached a picture below.
    [​IMG]

Many thanks.
    Shani

2. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Hi S, its a Crabtree ref no 2163    its a 16 amp double pole with neon (your neon is missing)  hope that helps.

3. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Another good reason why I have decided to never use 1.5mm on lighting again..

4. Shani

Shani New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, would 16A be ok? even tho it says 6A.
    So there is no neutral on the IN side then. just the lives and link live, so once the switch is pulled  the 2 lives supply 2 different things on the OUT side. confusing lol......but interesting.

5. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I rarely use 1.5 on lighting except if its a long way to the first light.   I prefer to restrict the amount of lights on it & wire more circuits.  S, you would not normally bring all the cables in 1 entry, some really would be better to also use the entry opposite as well.  You would also take the earths to the appropriate terminal, I suspect they are twisted up behind the switch pushed in the cieling.  The grey outer covering would normally just enter the switch also.

6. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I reckon if you look closer it will say 16 because they dont do a double pole under 16a.    I dont think the wiring method is up to scratch really, have you got another isolating switch for the fan, if not, the neutral is not been switched to the fan.

7. Shani

Shani New Member

I've been brave and looked again, you were right, the earths are twisted together unsheathed behind.
    I can see where they should go on the fitting.
    Also On the L1 terminal it looks likje a small wire has been cut, this would have been the neon i presume? 
    I'll order a  a 16A Crabtree 2163 16A Double Pole with neon and have a go fitting myself like for like. If not I'll get an electrician in.
    Hopefully it will work.

You take electrics for granted until something goes wrong. Hats off to you sparks, now i know why it takes so long to train, it seems so easy but it not! it's so complicated.
    Thank you sooo much for your help.
    Regards
    Shani

8. wally

wally Screwfix Select

You will have to cut the neon off again as it won't work with the way its wired.

9. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Before you touch anything Shani - observe all isolation procedures, this does include proving dead at the point you are going to do the work on..only a tip from a fellow diy'er..

10. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Also please don't twist the cable ends together - its not cricket tbqh..

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes, but J.P. but no,but.........

12. Shani

Shani New Member

Definately safety at all times!
    I have had to disconnect my dishwasher via a fused spur before and turned the Fuse board off with the main switch shutting the whole flat off..haha
    Thanks for the replies.
    regards
    Shani

13. Bally

Bally New Member

Hi I'm thinking of getting the Crabtree 2163 16a ceiling switch with neon light. How would this this be wired? Just wondering if it's easy to do as above. I have done wiring in the past so ok to so this. I'm planning an extractor fan install soon. Thanks.