Help with Titan Chainsaw file, please

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Fontes, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Fontes

Fontes New Member

Hello, folks! I have just bought a Screwfix Titan petrol chainsaw, Model TTL 632CHN with a 40 cm bar and chain. I want to sharpen the chain after its first outing but don't know what diameter file to use. Can anyone help, please? Page 54 of the User Manual says: "Use the chain file (not delivered) whose diameter is 1.1 times the cutting tooth depth." Personally, I don't find that very helpful, although it DID take me a long time to learn to ride a bike... Thanks in anticipation. Fontes

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Is it not clear that if the tooth depth is say 10mm, you need a file that is 11mm diameter?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've not done any chainsaw work for a very long time but I seem to remember that there are only 2 sizes of chainsaw file. You need a file holder as well.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

For the cost of a decent chain, unlike the carp one thats fiited as standard, i wouldn't bother even attempting to sharpen it.

Last ones I bought were £18.00 for a twin pack, at 9.00ea when they dull just Chuck em.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a 10 min job Phil :eek:

6. Phil the Paver

If you know what your doing, its also very dangerous, if you don't.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I did a chainsaw course so I did, it's frightening what I see people doing with them and with no safety gear :eek::eek:

8. Phil the Paver

Got a nice scar on my knee through a chainsaw :eek:, must have been one of them you saw without the right gear on. :oops::oops:.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There are 4 sizes of files for chainsaws,4mm, 4.8mm,5.2mm & 5.5mm depending on chain size.
    Safety trousers ideally Type C are essential,expensive, mine cost around £130, had a narrow squeak years ago,was money well spent, I personally don't like the Type A chaps,wrap around,as you don't get full protection.

10. Fontes

Fontes New Member

Hello, Lads! Many thanks for your answers, which have started to help. I could just about manage the arithmetic if they gave me an accurate depth; they don't. Against a ruler, it looks like a shade over 3mm but could easily be 4mm.(Eyes not as good as they were - should have listened to my headmaster's advice...) I have 4mm files (and holder) and had a bash yesterday, following the manual instructions and fileholder-angles. No idea if I did it properly. Thank you all for your heads-up on safety and clothing. I try to behave sensibly on the ground but I could - and will - certainly now do more on protective kit. I'll give the sharpened chain a go when the rain stops but if it shows the slightest sign of labouring, I'll whip it into town and have it done by professionals. The machine came with two Oregon chains, which I'd understood to be pretty good quality - each link is stamped "Oregon" so I don't think in this case it is the occasional poor stuff coming from the Far East. Pleased with the saw's performance so far.
    Thanks again for your prompt and useful advice. Fontes

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plenty of good gide on chain sharpening on YouTube.:)

12. Phil the Paver

Fontes, Oregon are good chains, in fact the make i use, im impressed the saw came with them. ☺

13. Fontes

Fontes New Member

Kiab and Phil - thanks again! Videos are first-rate. That's the good news. Bad news is that I have simply done it all wrong but at least I've found out before using the saw again... Back to the drawing board... Best wishes Fontes