Help with wiring dimmer switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jayjays, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Jayjays

Jayjays New Member

I'm trying to swap over my light switch to a dimmer switch and want to double check what wires go where. Thanks
    J
    Here are the photos:

original lighting setup
    [​IMG]
    New dimmer switch to be installed

[​IMG]

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The wavey line with arrow is your common.

Rulland likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

And don't forget the EARTH.

4. Jayjays

Jayjays New Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm after a little help as to which wires go where in the new setup

5. camels toe

camels toe Member

Lol. And don't forget to put a fly lead in to back of box. I know what your gonna say, fixed lug blah blah good practice though.
    P.s 2 brown in l1 and other in l2

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Two browns in old C goto wave line terminal (phase?), and L2 brown old goes to L1 or L2, doesn't make a difference as you're not using two way switching, and most important, as already mentioned, DO NOT FORGET THE EARTH :cool:

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The incoming earth looks to be connected to the back box - and I agree with you, ignore the fixed lug and make a connection to the terminal.

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Wrong Mr Camels Toe:)

I'm assuming the two browns are the lighting radial seeing as there are two blues in a choccy block there as well-it won't make any difference to the operation, just good practice to have the radial lives in the common.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  9. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

Disagree. Two browns in L1 (or L2) single brown in the middle terminal (wavey line)
    E the F

10. Jayjays

Jayjays New Member

so are we going with 2 browns into new L1 and single brown in new middle terminal? Then move earth from back box into new face plate?

11. Jayjays, I apologise for my sparky friends and their trickle of (sometimes mis) information... :rolleyes:

This is what to do:

Put the two browns (currently in L1) into the centre 'squiggle' terminal on your new switch.
    Place the single brown (currently L2) in to L1 on the new switch (although it'll also work in L2)

Then, since your new switch is metal-faced, it'll need to be 'earthed' (unlike your old plastic switch). To do this you'll need to take a short (around 4") of cable, sleeve it in green/yellow to indicate it's 'earth', and connect it between your earth terminal in the back box and the brass 'earth' on the switch plate.

It might (ie - I don't know) be the case that the fixing screws will be enough to make this earth connection, if your back box is also metal, and earthed. But an earth cable link is highly recommended.

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

No.

The 2 browns into the centre wavy terminal. That is the equivalent of the common. Single brown into either L1 or L2, I would normally use L1.

You then need a piece of earth wire to connect a new earth wire fromthe switch into the existing earth connection.

KIAB likes this.
  13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Sorry DA. You must have posted wile I was typing.

Kind regards

14. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

My bad, old L1 is what I called C, apart from that my method is correct, like DA'S :cool:

15. Jayjays

Jayjays New Member

Brilliant, that makes total sense.

Thanks again

J

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.:)

17. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

18. camels toe

camels toe Member

Yes. Don't move earth wire. Add a bit from that terminal to new switch earth terminal.