Help

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by twiggs396, May 27, 2017.

1. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

My walls were recently plastered and I have a friend coming to help me tile in the morning.

I bought weber pr360 to prime the walls. Diluted it down to the correct 3to1 ratio. But now it's dry it seems to peel off far too easily. I'm worried aboit putting tiles on the wall in case they come down.

I cleaned the walls first with a damp cloth.

I really havnt got a clue what's wrong

If anyone can offer advise

Jon

2. Working On It

Working On It Member

Was the plaster fully dry?
    WOI

3. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

Hi there. Yes the plaster was definitely dry.
    I have been doing some research and the only thing it can be is that the plasterer has over polished the plaster

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could give plaster a rub down using a 120 grit paper on a backing block to remove the shine.
    You sure no pva was used anywhere?

5. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

The wet walls are tanked and the rest of the bathroom has the pr360 on it. I definitely can't tile tomorrow it seems and will have to strip everything back and sand it like you say.

Pva was used in the plastering but only on the bond coat I believe. There was definitely none on the surface

Thanks for your quick replies

6. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

I tried the duct tape test.... massive failure

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Maybe it needs to harden off? Sealers seem quick to feel dry but they are not. Need time to harden. 18 hours should be enough time. When did you seal?

8. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

Some of the bits have been dry for at least that long. And the weber stuff says it sets between 1 to 5 hours

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not used weber. Scratch up surface and use something else i guess.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Weber primer shouldn't peel, but the surface applied to, needs to be porous, it's no good on a non porous suface, also you can use it neat, but usually you dilute it.

Weber have a Technical helpline Tel: (01525) 722110,or email technical@netweber.co.uk

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  11. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

I sanded a test area last night and primed. This morning it is still not passing the tape test. It is definitely better but still not right.

12. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

I tred weber but they won't be open now till tuesday

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I reckon your plasterer put pva in the mix, totally uneeded:(.

14. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

Onto the thistle multi finish?

15. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

When you peel anything off the wall is dry and dusty

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Looks like you need Artex sealer or other stabiliser.

17. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

Hi, I bit the bullet and had a terrible and dusty day of wire brushing and sanding to remove what i assume was a over polished surface.

I beleive that to be the issue as it was fresh plaster and it was feeling off like when you put pva on your hands as a kid.

I have the ceiling to do now... mist coat etc, do I need to sand this too? (I get this is away from tiling now)