Hep20 plastic fitting

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jimfromdorset, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Jimfromdorset

Jimfromdorset New Member

I have recently fitted a Surestop isolating valve, the incoming side is 15mm copper and outgoing 15mm Hep20 plastic pipe, both push fit, the other end of the plastic outgoing is into a 15mm compression fitting.
    When I previously used Hep20 pipe with Hep20 fittings I remember inserting a stainless steel sleeve into the ends of the plastic pipe - are these sleeves only used as part of the Hep20 fittings or should I have used them both ends of the outgoing pipe from the Surestop fitting i.e. where the pipe is inserted into the Surestop fitting AND into the brass compression fitting? Thanks for any answers.

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you need inserts whenever the plastic is being connected to a compression fitting - so if the fitting has an olive it needs an insert

3. Jimfromdorset

Jimfromdorset New Member

Oops, thanks for that, will pop 2 in ASAP.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I thought inserts were recommended by all makes of plastic pipe and on all fittings, be they compression or push fit

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you are correct DiyDave,

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cheers tom
    It just sounded from Sean's post that he was saying use inserts with compression fittings

Not really read all the op post so don't know what fittings he is using just thought to mention that you need them in all instances

Sorry Sean if I've misunderstood your post :(

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

a lot of folks up here only use the inserts when the mating fitting is copper, so has an olive - so the support sleeve really is required - but a hep - hep joint they don't - I suspect it's old habit from the old system and pre their in for sure ridges on the inside of the fittings - none of my hep to hep joins have inserts, zero leaks

each to their own eh ....

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

9. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I agree always use inserts on all fittings regardless of whether they are compression or plastic.

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

so there you have it jinfromdorset, for tips on plumbing, trust the plumbers, for tips on pen pushing others can help, :oops:

plumberboy likes this.
  12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Er sorry Tom but I gave the 1st correct answer and I'm just a mere diy'er.........

When I said 'I thought inserts, etc' I knew they should be used with all fittings, honest.....was just being polite :p and trying to help the OP

But I do get the subtle nuances of your comment ! ;)

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

not takin' anything from you Diydave, you did get it right hats off to ya
    [​IMG]

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cheers tom.plum

I only comment when I think I have something to add and believe that my advice is correct

Love the emoticon (if that's what these things are called)
    I would have no idea on how you put that on here so once again, I salute your impressive talents kind sir.....

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you're very welcome Dave, that sean is quick to point out any bad advise from others, but goes quiet when he sprouts dung and is corrected, that's why I have him on ignore, he's forced a few knowledgeable tradesmen away from this site with his ' i've got a degree in dung speading', I'm glad a person as yourself can see throu him ,

;)

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you will never make me go quiet Tom - everyone here is an adult (?) I can't force anyone away from this site

your repeated attempts at restarting the long forgotten discord of the past is noted