Here we go...

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I want to run some outside lights in placky conduit. I've got a shed load of 1mm 3 core from an old job I want to use up. I plan to strip the sheath back to "singles" and sleeve either end with blue and/or earth sleeving and use a bit of insulation tape to hold it in place.

Right, suck on your teeth all you want as it may not be to your taste; is there a reg that this doesn't comply with?

2. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Wouldn't 1mm 3-core already be brown/blue/green-yellow? (Since 1972 as it goes, so it would be cable from a very old job. Were you working school holidays, Col? ) :)

:)

FatHands likes this.
  3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Think he means 3C+E

4. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

OK... I geddit - 3-core & earth...

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yea 3 core and earth

6. mr reflex

mr reflex Member

solid copper cores instead of stranded through conduit,mmm

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Why strip the sheath off then Col? 1.00mm 3+e will go through 20mm conduit ok.

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Prolly need to shove 3 x 3 core down a 20mm conduit. Also I'll be left with a spare "earth".

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Does this or does this not comply with the Holy Bible 7671? If not, then reg please.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I don't think there's anything in the regs that says you can't put t/e into conduit. (I've done it enough times!)

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It's not that mate, I don't think I can shove in the cable with a the sheeth on it. Two maybe, but three I don't reckon would work.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you basically turning flex into singles?

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yup. If it's a problem for you the reg please.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I thought you said that originally but the replies confused me, aren't you supposed to run singles in conduit?

15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

there isnt any issue with that col surely? or is this an early friday thing? ;)

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Conductor should be sleeved at terminations and "preferably along its length".

Preferably.

I wouldn't cack it up with tape though, just sleeve.

You know it's coming.....for the price of a couple rolls of cable :)

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Ok cheers guys. I'll be sure to show this job to my bottom inspector if I ever get registered. :Do_O

FatHands likes this.
  18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Lol yea but 20 meters of spare 3 core is even less:eek:

19. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I did think about running the cpc bare and it seems do-able but could have problems with r1+r2 testing as the cpc may touch inside the conduit. I couldn't find any confirmation but I believe technically it should be doable and comply with the Holy Bible.

20. camels toe

camels toe Member

Loads and loads of lube required. Tallow or lard would be my choice for an easy entry