Herringbone overlay floor laid with nails

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by vertigo1946, Jun 27, 2014.

1. vertigo1946

vertigo1946 New Member

Hi,

I have recently bought a new floor for my house. I got 10mm oak overlay, in a herring-bone style. The guy doing the renovation in the house persuaded me not to use the fitter recommended by the floor shop, saying he'd fitted many such floors.

I've just been round and seen the floor and basically every board has been nailed to the floor with a nailgun. The guys on the site were adamant that this was normal, and that they will fill every hole with wax, and then sand down and finish the floor, at which point they claim that you won't be able to see the very visible nail holes everywhere.

However I'm really worried they've ruined my floor!

Any help /advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

?????, wonder how many nail-guns were about when this type of flooring was common.

Not knowing the exact flooring you have, but I would bet good money on it being glued down like a parkay flooring.

3. vertigo1946

vertigo1946 New Member

Hi Phil

This was a new floor, that was just fitted this week, not a floor that was there. I bought the boards, and the guy fitting it nailed it down with the nailgun. Here's a picture where you can see all the holes. The whole floor has been laid like that

floor.jpg

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You need to take his nail gun off him and give him a genital piercing, they should be stuck down.

5. vertigo1946

vertigo1946 New Member

yeah, at the moment i'd be quite happy to nail him to the floor by his genitals.

so does that mean the floor is ruined? i'm guessing even if those holes are filled and sanded or oiled it will still look odd because every single board has holes in

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I did wonder what HandyAndy had been doing these past few days

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You will always see it because you know it is there, if it is done well no one else will notice.

8. Phil the Paver

Make him take it up and supply and glue down new stuff.

What he has done there, looks like synchronised woodworm.

9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

To be fair, that is very neat nailing.

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

and he's made a fair job of colour matching the nail heads

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Bordering on the criminal that is, should 100% be glued down. They used to be laid on hot bitumen. Floor is ruined and needs taking up and burning.

The blocks will not stay in position IMO. They are only laid with second fix brads by the look of it and will work loose causing

They should be glued down and then sanded and finished.

Then the numpties who laid it should be glued down and then sanded and finished off with his nailer!

12. Phil the Paver

You should take his nailgun off him and
    xray-nails.jpg

Well you get the idea. :confused:

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Ha ha ha

14. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Shocking, Is this character a joiner or tradesman of any description? Make him take it up and as everyone says it should be stuck down.