hey JJ,

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by tom.plum, Mar 2, 2015.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

how's the job going, I hope you're enjoying it ;)

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Loving it Tomp. Lovely ward I'm on, a great bunch of colleagues. Learning new clinical skills almost every shift. I wish I'd taken this up years ago to be honest. Long shifts (12.5 hrs) but only three a week makes my full time hours . Any extra shifts are a bonus. ;);););)

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

sounds good John, sounds like you've found your destiny, :)

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

John Nightingale, :), glad your enjoying it JJ.

5. What's the new job, JJ?

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

John's a doctor now Mr Devs, well nearly, he's left joinery to help others in a caring job, top bloke hey?

7. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Top man JJ.;)

8. JJ, I am prone in front of t'screen, bowing down repeatedly before your hallowed name.

Ok, my knees don't allow too much bowing, but I think peeps in the 'caring' professions who really 'care' are truly awesome. The real 'salt of t'earth' peeps.

And you are clearly enjoying it, and working alongside like-minded peeps.

Sounds like a cracking move all round :)

Very best wishes in your new job, JJ.

9. joinerjohn1

Why, thank you DA. Forgive Tompus, saying I'm a doctor. I'm actually a HCA (health care assistant) at our local hospital. Work on a rehabilitation ward for elderly patients. They come here for a short time , before either going back home, or moving on into nursing or care homes. Tell ya what though, the biggest difference between working on the ward and working in a nursing home is,,, seeing people walk out the door, breathing and alive. A true joy to behold. ;);)

10. Ah, of course - you have 'previous' with this sector.

What sort of training is needed for this?

(Yep, I can imagine there's only one way out of a nursing home... :( )

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Sorry JJ, sometimes I just get mixed up, I recently spent a few weeks in hospital at a bedside, during that time I saw how the lower paid hospital workers work, they ( you and your colleagues) work damned hard for long hours and its not for the money they earn, they make a differance to peoples lives and do it cos they (you) care, I can understand how seeing a person walking out of a ward in better condition than they were wheeled in has a reward of its own, good on you JJ.

plumber-boy likes this.
  12. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

You'll have to let us know if you encounter Loz (remember him?) during the course of the new job JJ.

I used to work with a apprentice/plumber who gave up the trade for a job in nursing said he would never go back plumbing - it would be quite amusing if you was looking after a patient and they remembered you saying "Hey aren't you that guy who installed our boiler a couple of years ago"!! :):):)

Tappy,

13. joinerjohn1

Already had one visitor who I fitted a kitchen for some years back. They remembered me too, and were surprised at such a change of career. Anyway, today (not at work) I visited the nursing home where I used to work, to see the ressies and the staff. Had a great couple of hours with them all. Twas one old lady's birthday too, so I just had to make a bit if a fuss of her. ;);)

plumber-boy likes this.
  14. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

It would be quite worrying though if you was having a life saving operation and you recognised one of the operating staff as the same person who unblocked your toilet a few years ago!!

15. joinerjohn1

Some years ago, my younger brother had an operation ( ahem,,,,down below ;) ) This required him being catheterised for about a month after. When he went back to have the catheter removed, the female nurse who was removing the catheter was our cousin. My brother's never been so embarrassed in his life. :p:p:p:p