Hi guys, new here with easy (hopefully) question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bethstevens, Nov 8, 2014.

1. bethstevens

bethstevens New Member

In my bathroom the white sealer around the bath has gone black and its impossible to ged rid of, any tips for sorting it out please?

Beth x

2. meady

meady Member

Remove mastic and re seal with new.

3. bethstevens

bethstevens New Member

Thankyou, I did think that but how does the old sealant come off?

4. meady

meady Member

With a lot of scraping, hard work and patience :)

5. bethstevens

bethstevens New Member

But what tool would I need to use as id be worried about scratching the bath with a knife?

6. bethstevens

bethstevens New Member

Or would I be better getting a man in?

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  7. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

This is a wind-up ain't it? LOL :D

8. bethstevens

bethstevens New Member

No, its a legitimate question. I watched a youtube clip where they put some kind of liquid on the sealant and it lifted off...was hoping for more info on that?
    Am I not welcome to ask questions like that here or are you just going to make fun of me?

9. bethstevens

bethstevens New Member

10. yeah scraping with that maybe use a knife carefully to start it, i would use a brand called everwhite or something similar as aposed to cheap **** that will go black again quickly, also when re sealing half fill the bath with water so the silicone doesent pull away with the weight the first time you fill the tub

bethstevens likes this.
  11. bethstevens

bethstevens New Member

Superb! thankyou.
    Just read the reviews about that tool which has given me a bit more confidence... thanks x

12. Not a problem oh and forgot to mention everwhite is sillicone

bethstevens likes this.
  13. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Beth. Sincere apologies, but when you post a photo of yourself & then ask "should I get a man in?" this is open to misinterpretation. Trust me, we are all happy to help with advice if we can. Please feel free to ask on any subject and most people will offer good advice. Sorry once again.

14. rd1

rd1 Member

Hi Beth,
    When I have done this in the past I have, used a Stanley type very sharp knife laid flat on the bath and very carefully draw it along the bottom of the mastic.Then lay the knife against the tile and go along cutting the top and if done correctly you should be able to pull the ribbon of mastic off in just about one go. You need to be confident and ensure that the blade is sharp and you cut slowly and carefully.

I find redoing the mastic is usually more difficult to get looking neat but I use masking tape and fix a strip to the to the bath just outside the old line of sealant and the same at the top on the tiles. Apply sealant along the bath edge and use the tool above, or your wet finger to lightly shape or smooth the sealant. Try not to get too thick a line overlapping onto the masking tape so that when you pull it off you have a clean straight line and no ridge. I usually take the masking tape off a few minutes after finishing so that I can see the edge is OK before it is dry

Start the easiest end of the bath first just to get the hang of it. I always fill the bath, and make sure the area to seal is clean and dry and no need to dig out the sealant below the bath edge.
    Hope this helps and good luck with it, you can do it!
    Rob

bethstevens likes this.
  15. Biffo

Biffo Member

and get the proper anti fungal silicon,, its caused by bacteria off your body !!!!

bethstevens likes this.
  16. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You also need to careful of the cleaners you use around the bath. Bleach based cleaners are a big culprit for black mastic.

17. bethstevens

bethstevens New Member

You mean bleach based cleaners make the sealant go black quicker?

18. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

They can do yes dependant upon the sealer used, when replacing it do a little research, as was said the anti fungal ones are better than plain ones but have a read on the tubes. If you have a plumbers merchant near you pop in and have a chat with them, they are a wealth of knowledge compaired to your average B&Q, Wickes, Homebase (other DIY stores are available) worker.

bethstevens likes this.
  19. bethstevens

bethstevens New Member

Ok thank you. I appreciate all the replies (well most of them!)

Welshdragon1 likes this.