Hiding the marks of a ceiling centre

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Cardiff Archie, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Cardiff Archie

Cardiff Archie New Member

I have removed a plaster ceiling centre and it has left behind quite a few divots etc,i know i can fill these in,but where the rest of the ceiling is you can feel like there are microns of emulsion on it,the ceiling is lovely and flat and don't want to get it re-plastered for the sake of this small area.
    I intend to put a light up and that will account for some of the area,but i wouldn't want to paint it and you can see where the ceiling centre had been,any ideas ?
    Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use a filler like Toupret Interior Filler, (excellent fine finish) & skim the area, it's easy to rub down with some fine paper & feather in the edges.
    Sadly our host still don't stock it, only their competitor.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. As KIAB says.

But hard to advise without seeing how 'bad' the job is.

But, essentially a combination of sanding (with a flat block) and filling with fine filler - 'feather-edging' any steps in the paint work.

When you are close to getting it good enough, a really good very fine surface filler to finish off with is - a couple of thick coats of rolled-on matt emulsion. Easy to sand perfectly flat.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Toupret Interior Filler is a fine filler, but add the powder to the water to make a fine paste, then let it rest for a minute or two before using. I've used it to skim a pox marked wall here, some marks were barley a few millimetres deep, & I then use a 180, or 240 paper to finish,remove any marks before painting.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Skim the area using Artex...........smooth it with abrasive when dry, jobs a doddle!

6. Cardiff Archie

Cardiff Archie New Member

Thanks for the quick response.

7. Pffft - skim, ma botty.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Skim yer own botty!:p

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Artex is not dissimilar to filler. And you can smooth over with a wet trowel(spray water onto the trowel-not the Artex) to get it practically right first time.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Astramax likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thank you HA, spot on.

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Loads of good advice but all I would add is that any areas of filler, especially a largish area as this situation,should be mist coated before painting (thinned out emulsion)

The mist coat will also highlight any blemishes in the filler that you've missed after filling and sanding

Any less than perfect areas can be prepped again, then mist coated again before emulsioning

Pay special attention to the edges of the filler, ie, feather in and continuously feel for any ridges with your fingers

It's amazing how bad a poor repair will look in the wrong light conditions, so take your time

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I was in my local SF branch today and noticed they do now stock Toupret products :)

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good to hear, but it's £1:08p cheaper at their competitors though.:eek:

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I noticed this too, It says it was previously £8.99 and now reduced to £7.99? How can this be If it has just began to be sold?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Strange :confused:, no idea, probably done to make peeps think they got a bargain.:rolleyes:

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I think Screwfix have some explaining to do on this "reduced" price point

Doesn't a "previously" advertise price have to have been actually sold at this price for a minimum amount of time and at certain branches of the company that can be named and substantiated ?