High BTU radiator required

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DJU, Sep 1, 2014.

1. DJU

DJU Member

Hi all,

Just been working out the heating requirements for a room and it needs a 7200BTU radiator. We currently have a single row vertical radiator which when I mentioned to a heating engineer thought wouldn't be enough.

My question really is, if I were to buy a vertical radiator that meets the BTU rate, is there anything that would need to be looked at from the current heating system or can it just be added to the system and balanced?

Thanks in advance as always

2. DJU

DJU Member

Sorry, should have added to the details that the radiator is currently at one end of the room. I would prefer to have two rads (1 at each end) but installing one at the other end looks as though it will be expensive and a pain to have put in. Will having a larger output rad at one end to meet the requirements to heat the room be the incorrect way to heat the house room and be hot at one end and cool at the other as it feels like it will.

3. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Have you calculated btu on a app, plumb nation provide one, to convert into KW divide btu by 3412. Good practice to put rads under window or outside wall next best

4. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Radiators heat the room via convection currents therefore a long horizontal radiator will distribute heat through the room much better than any vertical one.

The type of system will have to be taken into consideration too.

What form of heating have you got DJU ?

Tappy,

5. DJU

DJU Member

Converted it into KW and is 2121.

We have gas central heating and just having the boiler changed as it was a combi. The room is 6.5m x 3m with patio doors at one end. The current vertical radiator is close to that end with nothing at the other apart from the front door and small window. The room has a low dividing wall to the kitchen.

Thanks Tappy

6. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

A combi - so plenty of BTUs in the boiler regarding the CH output.
    It will be a pressurised system too - so again should be no problems with the system regarding teeing in the new larger radiator and balancing up the system.
    Nothing to gain either by having two rad's at each end of the room over just the one large one at one end.
    Tappy,

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  7. DJU

DJU Member

Thanks for the confirmation Tappy. Just to mention that the Combi is going and getting a Vaillant Ecotec Plus Heat only boiler installed with an Unvented pressurised cylinder installed. Still thinking that it will be enough.

If I do go for one large 2+Kw rad at one end, my head is telling me that the heating will be off balance with the room and that it would be VERY warm at the end where the rad sits.

8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

That is a big rad, I would divide it into 2 rads personally, it stops cold spots in the room & smaller rads warm faster, natural convection currents in large rooms are poor as the air cools & drops half way across the room, this will result in cold spots & draughts, also a TRV will close leaving the other side of room below temp

9. JimmyBob1992

JimmyBob1992 New Member

If you're looking for a great online BTU calculator then I came across a perfect one from Trade Radiators:

https://www.traderadiators.com/acatalog/heating-calculator.html

10. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

It does look better than many as it uses sensible U values; but why spoil everything by quoting rad outputs for a delta of 60C? All reputable manufacturers and supplies adhere to BS EN 442 which specifies: flow =75C, return =65C, room =20C; i.e a delta of 50C. A delta of 60C just makes a rad more powerful than it really is.

Systems using condensing boilers should be designed for a return temperature of 55C max, which will give a delta of 40-45C. Rad outputs will therefore be lower than BS EN442 and much lower than the values quoted by Trade Radiators.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

DJU: Vaillant Ecotec Plus Heat only boiler, excellent choice of boiler.