high vibration adhesive for motorhome

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by maddi, Jun 21, 2014.

1. maddi

maddi New Member

I have a custom motorhome fitted completely in wood, by a boatbuilder, beautifully carpentered with wooden sturdy tongue and groove wall panelling. The kitchen area is tiled with standard 95mm ceramic tiles, which I am loath to change as they look great, but due to the vehicle vibrations the wall/splashback tiles seem to need sticking back every few months. Any suggestions re a better adhesive please? Needs to be splashproof, but not seriously waterproof
    pic attached

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

or a good quality white silicon, stick and grout

4. maddi

maddi New Member

Tried silicon, no joy, also good quality instant grip glue but didnt cope with vibrations.... tho will try your recommendation if nothing else comes up. Its been vexing me for sometime! Wondering if there some trade secret? Possibly from marine environment?

5. Biochef

Biochef Member

image.jpg

Gatt likes this.
  6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

does your bus have any suspension ?

if something like Sikaflex 221 Strong doesn't work then maybe consider ripping the tiles off and replacing with a SS splashback, that's screwed in place

7. Biochef

Biochef Member

Yea splash back and also make van lighter saving fuel and the environment etc etc :)

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Get yourself down to a local motor factors and buy some "Tigerseal." Stick your tiles on with that and they'll never come off in a zillion years. ;);)

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it looks like those tiles have been stuck directly to the T&G ? - you need something very rigid to stick them to, tile backerboard or some ply - no wonder they keep falling off

10. Maddi -

Used it masel - it's great. Cheap, easy to use, very powerful adhesive, copes with movement, and you could even use it to grout your tiles afterwards - tho' I cannot comment on how easy it would be to keep clean. I suspect easy enough.

Can be 'tooled' before it cures - you could run a round former along the grout fills to leave a good finish, and then scrape off the resulting tramlines as they set. All-in-one.

(An it'll also fix anything else in your mob' should it be needed...)

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

D A, do you think she's done that before :), wonder if she wants a job, I could find her something to stick up.:eek:

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

'Mighty Strength' adhesive, copes with movement. Never failed me yet. ;)

13. maddi

maddi New Member

Thanks all for tips. Think will go forcombo of backing board plus whichever one of recommended adhesives I find first ..... and ill post results in case anyone else has similar issue.