Hinge type for door to swing through 180 degrees?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by diymostthings, Sep 15, 2012.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I'm fitting a "gate" made from heavy duty trellis on the boundary between my garden and next doors within the run of the existing trellis fence. (This will make it easy for them to come through to feed our cat when we're away!).
    The fence trellis panels are screwed to the centre of each fence post so the "gate" would be similarly fixed but with hinges.

Question: is there a type of hinge that will allow my gate to swing through 180 degrees (i.e. opening fully both on our side and the neighbours side) with the hinges set in the middle of the post?

All the hinges I can see are for doors which will only open through 90 degrees. I know hospital corridor doors do this but presumably with a very expensive hinge system!

Thanks for any information/advice.

diymostthings

2. Do it again daz

Do it again daz New Member

hi
    tee hinges may work, depending on which way you want the gate to swing. also some type of cranked hinge with a pin that you lift on/off. think they might be field gate hinges.

3. diymostthings

Thanks for that Do it again daz - I hadn't thought of tee hinges - they will probably do the job albeit opening less on one side than the other. i know what you mean about those lift off hinges - but they would be an overkill for this light job.

Much obliged for your help!

diymostthings

4. A Tee-hinge will only work in one direction, but why would you want it going both ways anyways?

With the 'small' end of the hinge screwed straight on to the post, you'll then need a packing piece of timber to fill the gap betwixt the 'long' hinge piece and the trellis so that the trellis still sits in the middle of the post when closed.

The only hinge I can think of that goes 'both ways' are complex spring-loaded double hinges that would be complete over-kill for this job.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You could make up your own with a couple of hefty angle brackets at the post and a pin top and bottom of the 'gate'. Round off the corners of the gate to allow swinging both ways.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. diymostthings

Thanks one and all for your help. I may try to "manufacture" a "pin and bush" type of hinge. Might do it with copper plumbing bits as its very light.

diymostthings

7. If you visualise the Tee-hinge fitting, in theory all you'd need to do is plane a 45o bevel down the hinged upright on the trellis, on the opposite side to what the hinge is fitted. Repeat that bevel on the post.

In theory.

In practice, you probably won't have as much swing on the bevelled side unless you bevel pretty deep...

But Mr Ha's idea is the best - Two strong angle brackets - screwed to t'post top and bottom. A M8-ish fully-threaded bolt passed through each bracket, the top one down from the top, the bottom one up from the bottom - both fixed in place with their nuts. Drill matching holes (8mm dia) into the trellis top and bottom, and round-off that hinged upright. Better still, sleeve the holes with tubing.

You'll probably have to reinforce the top and bottom of the trellis uprights to take the pins, but hey...

8. Clarity

Clarity New Member

9. Rule numero uno of this forum is that no-one likes a smartass.

x lots.

10. Clarity

Clarity New Member

11. diymostthings

Thanks for that Clarity - well I have to be honest and say that I knew such expensive hinges existed but I'm only willing to pay up to a tenth of the cost of that!

I've made one out of "handy angle" (dexion?) now thanks.

diymostthings

12. diymostthings

Thanks devils Advocate - Well I actually took that design on board and made a hinge out of some "handy angle" offcuts I had.

Appreciate the time you took to consider this and reply.

diymostthings

13. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    i imagine that the hinges on the space shuttle were quite expensive!