'Hive' and 'Nest' and stuff.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Are these versions of the same thing - a boiler control system which also has phone app control?

How does the phone app thingy work - does the Prog Stat need connecting to the internet or require a SIM card or what? Or is it wireless to your modem? How does it communicate with your phone?!

Are there any other obvious alternatives out there?

Ta muchly.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have the nest, it links to the wireless router at home, then you have to a pair it with a nest account. I have one on app on phone and computer.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. Fab gents.

(Oops - and lady...)

Any idea how the Vaillant system compares with Nest or Hive or 3rd-party systems?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Simple to install vSmart, carp video, messy installation,only one I could find.:(

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

7. r18rws

r18rws Member

DA, I put the Nest system in and it is very impressive for the £200 outlay.

It has a control panel that is fitted where the old timer/programmer was. Then a remote link to a thermostat you can put anywhere, either on the wall and power it from a 12v set of wires - not 240v. Or you can connect it using the included adapter which is like a mobile phone charger with a micro USB connection.

The device connects to your wifi an you can then control it from your phone.

For me the Nest system allows me to auto learns program, so it recognises when you are in, what you do with the heat settings and builds a timer programme for you of temp at certain times. If you are always out on a Wednesday for example, the system learns it and so adjust to appropriate temperature for you being out. I have mine preset that if I am away it drops to 15 'c.

If you then come back in, it takes over and starts heating up.

Also it will learn how long it takes to warm and cool, so if you want 20'c at 2pm and it takes 30 mins to achieve that from 17'c, it knows and so comes on earlier.
    Likewise if you go out at 9am and it takes 45 mins to cool back to 15'c from 18'c then it will shut the heating down earlier knowing you will be missing.

If you live alone you have options where the phone can geotag you, and so it knows when you are getting close to home and so fires in the heating to warm the house.

How water can be programmed too, and the device knows your location and so the expected outdoor weather temperatures. It can tell you how much time was spent calling for heat each day and at which points, weather you are above below the weeks average.

As a gadget geek, I love the ability to control it on the phone or apple watch, the quality of the stat is awesome, very nice top quality piece of kit and looks great on the wall.
    Simple enough for the missus to use, and lots of interesting stuff to look at behind the scenes for me.

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I don't understand the ones that switch off when you leave the house with your phone, like the Tado. What happens when I go off to work in the morning and the wife and kids are still in the house freezing!

Personally I think they are a bit of a gimick, do you really need to turn on your heating on the way home or is a fairly simple programmable thermostat more than sufficient

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Agree, a gimmick.

I thought DA would have gone for the 'Brexit' brand controller as thats the one they are using in the House of Commons!

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The vSmart base could be better designed I don't like the power adaptor cable coming out of bottom, luckily the centre of the wall plate unit is open, so I supose you drill hole through wall & feed through adaptor to a socket located in a cupboard.

11. I must be an anti geek?

Controllers like that are the last thing I need. We set the heating and water to be sorted for when we wake, to be off when we go out, and to be on for when we get in, with a midday setting to ensure house doesnt get too cold while out.

If we go out for evening etc, we just lower the thermostat when we go out, and turn it up when back home.

All these new systems dont reduce your heating and power bills, they just let you get more involved in stuff you dont need to, or have the time to.

There is only 1 way to reduce your power bills. Turn the heating down or off. Spend the money on insulation and enjoying yourself while you are on this earth.

John Shannon likes this.
  12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Exactly same as me!

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Fit a weather compensator instead.
    Got a Vaillant VRC 470f on my 824 combi boiler.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  14. Another gimmick to get the cash out of your wallet and all your details on another Data base.

15. r18rws

r18rws Member

The geotagging is only useful I guess for the single occupant. For me its disabled.

Ignoring all the features though, the Nest is a great quality controller, nice feel to it, looks well and if you want the features, there are plenty. Last wireless one I bought couple of years ago at old house with a timer programme was about £50 and was a very cheap product.

The ability to see how long you called for heating rather than simply between 8am-2pm for example is a good feature. Each to there own though. Screenshot of what I can see is attached here.

The flexibility is there if that works for you though. Being able to turn the heat down when you are unexpectedly away, or forgot to do it is handy. Being able to turn it back on ahead of arriving to a cold house after a period of being away is also very handy. The fact it can do that automatically is very clever. I see that the heat has gone off now for example, the missus is out and heating has recognised that it is unusual and so dropped the temperature.

Attached Files:

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Here is my nest:

nest.jpeg

r18rws likes this.
  17. r18rws

r18rws Member

I had one of those in my roof once, bloody nuisance!

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mine is better.

upload_2016-12-6_11-18-29.jpeg

Deleted member 164349 likes this.

19. I see that as a good idea, if you could predict every day was going to be the same weather outside.

If I set my thermostat to xyz%, it only brings the heat on if its needed, whats the difference? If i go away I have holiday mode, anti frost settings etc.

Learning to turn the temperature down is way more cost effective :)