Hole in Gas box

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ianwillimas228, May 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ianwillimas228

Ianwillimas228 New Member

Hi,
    I am having some gas work done. the Gas box is set into the wall and has a large hole in the back of it. ~70mm (looks like it was manufactured that way) in the back of it. The gas man says I need a new box. is this correct ?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Box large knock out top right, which will allow escaping gas into cavity and/or property is not alllowed.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I will try again, if the box has damage, which would permit escaping gas to enter cavity and/or property then it is not allowed.

So a new box I'm afraid, unless you could repair, patch over hole with glassfibre or some other means.

Got a photo.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. Ianwillimas228

Hi Photo attached, not damaged, the box has been manufactured with this in as it has beveled edge.

Attached Files:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would repair it, would think you could find a rubber blanking grommet of the right size to fit hole.

Even a plastic fence post cap would most likely fit.

[​IMG]

6. Ianwillimas228

or fibreglass ?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes, as I said in earlier reply.:)

Would need to key the surface to get a good bond.

8. Ianwillimas228

Perfect, the hole is 60mm. so I will try a blanking cap first. Thanks for your help

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Out of interest there is solid brick behind the hole and there would be another knock out for the service pipe to enter the house.

Whilst its easy to remedy is the engineer being pedantic?

10. Ianwillimas228

That's the inner wall. House is quite old but has 75mm cavity

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No, it's a legal requirement,you have gas leak, it would fill the cavity, might not even be aware of it at first.

12. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

These boxes come with the hole and a spigot to sleeve a gas pipe entering a property. Clearly your gas supply has been run in a different direction so the hole is redundant. When we run the pipe through the hole we seal the opening with a compound called Flue Jointing Compound (FJC).
    All you need to do is get a tub and fill the hole.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-...555838&sr=8-1&keywords=flue+jointing+compound

Rulland and KIAB like this.
  13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Now that's a useful reply, unlike a lot one sees on the forum sometimes :)

KIAB and Dave does Gas like this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never would of thought of using FJC for hole filling.:eek:

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Of course it is the inset version, was thinking of the external box - been a long day today :(