Holed Drilled without Permission- Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jwaza, Jun 24, 2016.

1. jwaza

jwaza New Member

I have a BTL property and the tenant has drilled a hole on the front property to allow for cabling to go through the wall under the first floor window (Image attached).

I have asked the tenant to remove the cables and for an professional contractor to assess the damage.
    The tenant has said he can fill the holes in, but I don't trust what silicon he will use, and I don't want the hole to be exposed due to the recent rain we have had.

If I get an professional builder what is the best material to use?

Advise highly appreciated.

Regards

Snash

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Exterior masonry filler will do the job.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Use a all purpose filler suitable for outdoors (a small ready mixed tube), once dry sand and touch up using exterior masonry paint. .

Wouldn't need a builder, a handy person would do it, but may not come out as its such a small job.

Alternatively let the tenant carry out the work, using materials you have supplied.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Also may be a good idea to have rooms supplied with sky/TV aerial feed off splitter, rather then cables running everywhere. This way could prevent new holes being drilled in future.

People like to watch TV.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

'A' hole ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

As a landlord, you should already have supplied your tenants with Sky, VirginMedia, whatever. Ask yourself, if you were having Sky/ Virgin Media installed at your house, just how would they get the services in?

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As Mr HA and JJ, it's one hole, for a service provider, could have been a whole lot worse tbh.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I thought Mr. H meant something else :oops:

Then realized the spelling mistake in title.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Yeah, I thought that after I typed it, maybe it might look like an insult!

But one hole. Loads of other wires and holes, how much worse is one hole?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Wow let's get this tenant on one of these TV shows. Nightmare tenants, if the tenant is paying his rent on time I'm pretty sure he should be allowed to fit a cable through a wall.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Be fair, he could have drilled through on of the other cables, I think the tenant should sue on health and safety issues. :eek:

seen it all before likes this.
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Stop being a tight arzed landlord.

KIAB and seen it all before like this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's about control, I own, you rent!

14. Mr. Handyandy

Are we back on to the EU trade deal again?

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Did you not vote on that either?

16. joinerjohn1

Too right Chip, I never voted for this landlord either. I reckon the tenant should take his landlord to the European Courts of Justice,,,,,,,,, hang on, :oops::oops:

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The European Court of Human Rights is nothing to do with the EU nor is turkey's voting for xmas.

18. joinerjohn1

I did say the European Court of Justice, not the European Court of Human Rights. ;););)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You did and yesterday you sold the NHS down the river so you must feeling really good about yourself.

20. Snash, is this for real?

You have asked a 'professional contractor' to 'assess the damage'?

And you'll probably bill your tenant for this incredible service? That you are also coming on here for - for free?

The damage is pretty bludy obvious - you have a small hole in your wall.

An egg-cup of mortar or exterior filler (cementous type) would sort it - use a thin dowel to push it right in to the end of t'ole' and pack it all the way out (stop at the bludy cavity, or course... :rolleyes:)

Blow out any dust and dampen t'ole first.

Build up the outer layer a few mm and then use anything to roughly texture it as the surrounding render.

Allow to dry. Paint.

Total cost of materials - a £enner.

Or, make sure it's sealed water-tight around the cable - and let him keep it.

KIAB and chippie244 like this.