Holidays in term time

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by WillyEckerslike, Apr 6, 2017.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Here goes.......

I think the Supreme Court has got this right!

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spot on.

Summer holiday are too long,needs to be split up, & holiday firms need rapping, severly over the knuckles over inflated prices in school holiday times.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Rules are rules and for a reason. Don't take your children out of school for holidays. Simples.

4. It's difficult to say if It is right or not.

I think it will probably depend on whether you have school age children or not, for your position?

The 1st thought is, that it is right, but then, schools are now in a position where they decide what is authorised absence or not and can take parents to court/send fines at their discretion.

When does authorised absence become unauthorised? What about illness? What about death in family etc? What about flights delayed on a planned return from holiday? Why are state schools allowed different rules on the subject?

Very fine lines.

His argument of regular attendance, is the real crux? What is regular attendance, and what is not? How much sick time becomes too much? If the child attended school fully apart from the holiday, the attendance is still probably better than some childrens?

Then the price of holidays? Are courts now saying that holiday prices can't or shouldn't be altered for demand ? I like holidays outside school holidays, will my prices go up?

5. WillyEckerslike

I think the attendance argument is slightly flawed though. It's a bit like me saying that I stick to the speed limit 95% of the time and shouldn't pay the fine when I get caught in the 5% that I don't.

6. WillyEckerslike

Illness, family tragedy, unforeseen delays and many factors outside of your control all sit outside of these rules.

7. Not really?

Most children have some time off school with illness? Various amounts obviously.

If a child has no time off ill, but has time off for a holiday, what is the difference to the education of that child and his/her class ?

longboat likes this.
  8. As for 'position', I speak as an ex-teacher, a parent with school-age kids and as a school governor - and I've spent far too much time in the latter capacity on this topic than what's good for me... :(

Why shouldn't kids take time out of school? Because they miss lessons (duh...), often the beginnings of important topics, or often the intermediate stages of a topic so they need to do some significant catching-up on their return (which mysteriously then becomes the responsibility of the teacher according to parents...). It also causes significant disruption to the teacher's organisation as they have to both continue the topic with their class whilst bringing the holiday returnees up to speed, and this is with a teacher who already has the best part of 30 kids under their charge.

Bottom line, it's a complete pita.

So I'm very pleased about this result :).

(I've had one parent trying to argue that taking kids to Disneyworld might be great inspiration as they might want to become a film producer in the future, and another claiming that they needed their skiing holiday in term time as it was too cold during the holidays - that's the level of reason we have to deal with. A bit like this forum & Brexit in many respects :))

Pollowick, gadget man and KIAB like this.
  9. Absolutely.

It is actually all very sensible.

10. One is avoidable and t'other isn't.

Obviously a child will miss out if they are off through sickness, but now't can be done about that and the teacher takes this as part of their normal teaching. But to take a kid out for one or two weeks of 'jolly' is ridiculous and adds a completely different level of disruption which is completely avoidable.

Dr Bodgit likes this.

11. I can agree with that, but catchup is catchup regardless of the reason why.

I also think it can put schools, teachers, governors in difficult positions. Not every child learns at the same rate, regardless of attendance. Not every child is academic and being forced to be at school can actually disrupt the education of those that are.

As always, there is no simple answer that fits all situations.

But overall, it is probably the only right position. As 1 person pointed out to me recently, it can be cheaper to pay the fine than to pay for dearer holidays, so unless prices get controlled, todays ruling doesn't necessarily mean it will sort it out either.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have a daughter who is a primary school teacher, she will be lucky to get 3 weeks off in the summer holidays due to pressures placed on teachers, she works every evening and most weekends marking books, preparing lessons, parents evening, dressing the classroom etc.

13. I dont mean to belittle the pressure she is under. But I struggle to get 2 weeks off :eek:

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have had no holiday for 30 years but did take 6 weeks off 2 years ago following 2 mild strokes, my daughters time off is restricted to school term time.;)...just saying:)

15. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

To some extent i agree. But where i have a huge issue is that my daughter is back at school on Easter Monday.
    I get very little time to spend with the family so holidays like these are important. So if i now take the Easter break to spend time as a family do i not bother with my daughter or keep her off risking a fine.

16. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Quote,
    I don't mean to belittle the pressure she is under. But I struggle to get 2 weeks off :eek:

I have been self employed for over 37 years. Some of you on here even longer. ;)
    I always took time out for family holidays, the most precious time of all. Many times during school, as they were the only times I could afford to go away.
    Suppose I was quite lucky really, as I never worked after Saturday midday, & 99% of the time had bank holidays off as well.

If you cant make enough money during a long hour week, is there something wrong?
    We never had a fortune, but could always pay our way & have a holiday. Many happy times.

macs3 and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Doubt I get a week off in whole year,

18. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

My view is...
    Schools should operate more like the workplace. Open all year round and the children have 35 days holiday entitlement. Can be taken at any time within reason. Teachers are also free to take their 25 days holiday when they choose within reason - just like every other job. Cover teachers would be required.
    The school staff, facilities and buildings are being used all year - this has to be sensible. Class sizes would on average be smaller than they are now.
    <ducks>

KIAB and Sparkielev like this.
  19. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

It not
    With me it not about making money I earn decent wage it about workload my phone never stops and am stupid as I never say no

20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I would have thought that with you being an ex-teacher, and presently a school governor, that you could have at least been honest with us and admitted that the welfare of the children comes second best to the all important OFSTED report.
    Unauthorised absenteeism, and even authorised absenteeism, counts as a 'black ball' in said reports.
    Image is everything as far as schools are concerned.