Hopeless at DIY .Need the best filler to hold screws in MDF door!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mary7, Apr 11, 2010.

1. mary7

mary7 New Member

Hi, I am trying to find the best filler for a largish MDF cabinet door that has daily opening and closing.( it houses my washer) The door has fallen off twice as the MDF it is fixed to is quite thin and keeps just crumbling away . I have filled it with some multi purpose filler and then tried to drill the existing screws and bracket that holds the door back in place but it keeps wearing loose and crumbles away again after a few months ! If anyone has any suggestions that doesn't involve buying a new cabinet or getting a joiner in i'd appreciate it! Thank you

2. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Move the hinges

3. chippie84

chippie84 New Member

its not filler you need,thats only a tempoary fix you dont want to be doing that everytime you open and close it.simple soloution is move the hinges, if the door is in a serious crumbling state. change the door.

chippie84

4. chippie84

chippie84 New Member

who built this cabinet? i forgot to add its not the door its the framework its hung too why cant this be replaced with new?

chippie 84

5. dryliner essex

dryliner essex New Member

FILL THE HOLE WITH COTTONWOOL.

6. dunc

dunc New Member

Hope you don't mind mne asking some basic questions/

What kind of fitting do you have. is the door an overlay with the blum type hinges?

or is it a framed unit with butt hinges?

why is the thinkmess of the material?

7. ttttttrician

ttttttrician New Member

car body filler makes good filler and cheap

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

9. the old un

the old un New Member

Hi, dunc has the right idea by asking the questions, before anybody can tell you how to fix your problem. Possibly, with respect, you do not know what either a blum or concealed hinge is, so to help you understand, can you see any part of hinge when door is shut? Is part of hinge attached to your washer and the other part to your door? Is the part fixed to your door fitted into a 32mm diameter hole part way drilled in back of door? Is door 18mm thick?
    Answer the questions and you will receive some answers.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get a joiner in.

11. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

Its also possible that sooner or later the same problem will occur again even if the hinges have been moved. If the door gets a lot of regular use and takes a lot of wear and tear maybe the doors should be changed for something other than MDF or maybe even something thicker.

12. mary7

mary7 New Member

Thanks for your help. You're right no clue what a blum is?

The units were bought from Magnet( virtually ready to fit) and fitted for me by someone, now retired.

The hinge is a concealed one. The part fixed to the door is countersunk into the door. The bit I can see is around 32 mm semi circle with the fixings over the other part.The hinge is not attached to washer.

Door is fixed to a frame of 15mm thickness and the door is about 20 mm thick. Because fixings are factory drilled so I could not really reposition these ones. Many Thanks.

13. mary7

mary7 New Member

Thanks Dunc,
    The units were bought from Magnet( virtually ready to fit) and fitted for me by someone, now retired.

The hinge is a concealed one. The part fixed to the door is countersunk into the door. The bit I can see is around 32 mm semi circle with the fixings over the other part.The hinge is not attached to washer.

Door is fixed to a frame of 15mm thickness and the door is about 20 mm thick. Because fixings are factory drilled so I could not really reposition these ones. Many Thanks.

14. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

You really do need to get a joiner in and have a look. Ask your friends if they have had any work done recently so at least you might get some good recommendations. Don't just look in the Yello Pages and pick the first one (AAAAAArdvark Joiners) you come across.

15. the old un

the old un New Member

Mary7, Was going to tell you how we fix them but on reflection it may be to difficult for you if you are on your own, so we will give you an alternative.
    If the hinge has come of the base unit go to www fit com. In the search box type HP100. Click hinge repair plate and it will show you picture. 75p each.
    If the hinge has come of door, go to www. dri-sil.co.uk/door-repair. Scroll down page will show you a picture. £7.98 pair. If you think that you can manage to screw these on, then go this route, however before you buy the later, give them a bell and ask them will the door repair hinge kit be suitable for a standard Magnet concealed kitchen door cupboard. If you don’t fancy these and you could get the old fellow who fitted your kitchen to do it for you, then I will tell you how we do it. Let me know. Hope this helps

16. mary7

mary7 New Member

Thanks the old un,
    Just to clarify,
    Its the hinge that has come off the base unit / frame so this is what I need to repair.It's the two screw holes that have crumbled away ( these are the ones I was going to try and fill with something to hold the screws in place again) So I think the hinge repair kit you mentioned may be just the trick.
    Only problem is I think the web site link you gave me www.fit.com may not be quite right, spelling wise? as I've tried to locate it but no luck? Could you kindly re check the address and let me know.

Have checked the other website link dri-sil and its def not the door bit that I need to fix.

Thanks again for your help.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If the link gets pulled type wood between www. and fit on the link oldun posted

19. the old un

the old un New Member

Mary, Chippie244 has got it 100% right.
    I know me way round a brick and bit of wood. but know very little about posting etc on a P.C. Bless yer 244 for putting me right.

20. toomanyairmiles

toomanyairmiles New Member

The thing you're looking for is a 'fixing dowel' or 'plastic dowel' - whack that phrase into google and you'll find what you're looking for.