Hopeless at DIY .Need the best filler to hold screws in MDF door!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mary7, Apr 11, 2010.

1. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I think that she might have bought a new kitchen by now!

2. toomanyairmiles

toomanyairmiles New Member

More than likely, but this thread ranks quite highly on Google for 'kitchen door rawlplug' so I left the reply for future searchers doing the same thing I was this morning.

3. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

4. Hank

Hank Member

Ordinary filler won't work, but I bet it will with something like Gripfill (screwfix product code 10261 for example). You won't the able to get the hinge out of the door again even if you wanted when you glue it in with stuff like that.

5. toomanyairmiles

toomanyairmiles New Member

Understood. I had thought about that route or some form of wood rawlplug/glue combo, but I would rather the doors match and all of them have these fixing dowels - luckily I found what I was looking for here http://www.eurofitdirect.co.uk/fixing-dowel-for-hinges-8mm

6. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I am not a proffesional trade person like the others on here, so you do what you want with my story.

I think my son had a similar problem to yours. Due to him repeatedly leaning on a cabinet door the hinge screws had pulled out of the carcass. As he was having a Haloween party he asked if I could easily fix, before the party begun.

I removed the door by unclipping the hinges and unscrewed the hinge plate from the carcass. I filled the holes in the carcass with quick setting epoxy (araldite or similar) I covered the hole up with tape to stop the epoxy running out.

About 4 hours later the epoxy was quite hard (not 100% cured), I drilled a 5 mm hole and screwed the hinge back into this in the original position. Door clipped back on and it was all good.

Hope this helps you get an easy fix.

Steve

PS Makes a change that I may be able to contribute after all the great advice I've got on here.

7. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Drill the hinge holes all the way through. Fit countersunk machine screws and nuts.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Or just use what I posted to in the first place ***.