Horizonal wall chases too deep?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by marc1977, Oct 21, 2016.

1. marc1977

marc1977 Member

I have recently had new radiators fitted with the pipework chased into the wall as we have a solid wood floor i didnt want to move. The wall is a standard cavity wall with breeze block on the inside. Ive read that the regulations state you can cut horizontally into 1/6 of this so about 17mm.

However the plumber has chased out about 3cm (up to 4cm in some places). Im not worried about the vertical drops and i think you can go deeper there but I have 3 horiontal runs all about 2 metres long on walls that are holding my house up! To be fair the plumber couldnt have made them muxh less deep otherwise the pipes wouldnt fit.

Ive attached a couple of picks to give you an idea of the work.

Am I worried over nothing here?

Attached Files:

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Why chase the pipes in? Could he not have clipped them to the wall or skirting?

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Obviously didn't want them showing!!

Anyway, reg chases, it's a bit late now so bond them up and finish the job. :)

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

think building regs say 1/6th of wall thickness. however i would never bury pipes in the wall , accident waiting to happen!!!!

KIAB and koolpc like this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Btw, one way around this is to convert to 10mm so you can limit depth of chases.

KIAB likes this.
  6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Agree. Mad to do what the op has done. Sorry

KIAB likes this.
  7. The vertical chase is only a few inches from the corner,it would have been easier and less mess to box the pipes in then do a box skirting.
    You would have to decorate anyway, but would not have needed any plastering.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is there a drain point at bottom of drop to drain system?

Should look something like this, but sometimes can be on the valves themselves.

upload_2016-10-21_19-5-58.jpeg

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    nigel willson likes this.
  10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I hope it stands up :)

KIAB likes this.
  11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.