Hot left - cold right.....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by spanky, Oct 23, 2008.

1. spanky

spanky New Member

TAPS Hot left - cold right..... this is standard, but is it an actual reg or just a recommendation within the water guide? if it is a reg can someone give me the wording and reg no thanks

2. rome60

rome60 New Member

Not a regulation but is standard if the plumber knows what he is doing.;)

3. morbius

morbius New Member

your right, it is standard, until fit a tap, dont read the instructions and find out that it was cold left and hot right, DOH.:(

4. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Standard practice.

If some one blind uses the tap they know which side to use depending on what they require.

5. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

I removed an old Mira Supajet and the unit accepted Hot on right and Cold on left.

6. RASP-GRASP

RASP-GRASP New Member

I was told years ago, cold on right, hot on left ,that most people in the uk are right handed.So & if you were blind & r/handed, less chance to scold their selfs. I dont know how lefties went on?

7. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

The only time i would install hot on left, is when a customers actually asks for it, as thats the way its always been.

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

My whole house is plumbed Cold Left, Hot Right!...not by me! ..I have never bothered to chnage it!

9. Bassrock

Bassrock New Member

Mmmm

Jeeeez, must have had two plumbers involved in building my house;-

Upstairs Bathroom, sink Hot Left, Bath Hot Right
    Downstairs sink hot left, downstairs WC hot right

Well you learn something every day !!

10. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

once doing a old age persons home we were having this conversation in the kitchen, "its for the blind folks" said one plumber,,then a voice called out from the lounge..." some of us are blind, but we're not f'kin stupid, we know how to find a hot tap", bah plumbers.think they know everthing,

11. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

Only * put the cold on the left. Usually find it on the bath when pipe work goes round and it is easier to tee off the wrong way.

[Edited by: admin]

12. PTFE

PTFE Member

As others have said hot left and cold right.

Although I have changed that on a few occasions when fitting a bath in a house that has small kids in (and with the customer's agreement so there can be no comebacks) so the hot is the furthest tap away.
    Less chance of scalded small hands.

PTFE

13. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

I was showing an old lady a monobloc bath mixer in our showroom the other day - you know the type, up for on,left for hot, down for off, right for cold ( the tap , not the lady) - " Thats no good for me" she says " I need one with a knob that swings the other way "......I JUST about managed to keep a straight face.

14. pipecraft

pipecraft New Member

straight face.

Chortle, Chortle, Chortle

I bet it's a right scream your showroom Hdog..........

Pfttttttt

15. imran_

imran_ New Member

And don't forget to put the hot runs above the cold runs.

16. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

I bet it's a right scream your showroom Hdog..........No too quiet at the moment :(