hot water - gas boiler vs immersion

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BrenWeb, Sep 18, 2014.

1. BrenWeb

BrenWeb New Member

Hi,

I am curious which takes priority if you have the electric immersion and the gas boiler both on at the same time to heat the water? Or do they kind of work together?

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

They will both heat the water until their thermostats are satisfied.
    Hope that helps.;)

3. BrenWeb

BrenWeb New Member

Ok, so if immersion stat is set to 65 and the boiler 75 (for e.g.), they are both on till the water reaches 65, then the boiler takes it to 75?

4. plumberboy

Spot on.

5. BrenWeb

BrenWeb New Member

Ahh interesting, thanks :)

6. plumberboy

No worries, happy to help.;)

BrenWeb likes this.
  7. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I would add a slight embelishement to the correct answers given. An immersion heater will only heat the water in a cylinder above its position - usually the bottom 1/3 will be cold. However the same cylinder heated from the boiler via the primary flow coil will heat the whole of the cylinder as the coil is close to the base of the cylinder. I thougth Tom Plumb had a video on this but I couldn't find it!

diymostthings

BrenWeb likes this.
  8. plumberboy

We are talking temperature not quantity.;)

9. BrenWeb

BrenWeb New Member

So what would be the most cost effective method to regularly heat the water?

10. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

The boiler temperature may go up to 75, but the water in the cylinder should not be above 60C. There should be a thermostat on the side of the cylinder which turns the boiler off when the cylinder reaches 60C.

The boiler temperature needs to be higher than the cylinder temperature, otherwise the water in the cylinder will not heat up.